Chapter Eight

Jacob POV

-

-

We walked inside and sat down on the couch. I could see Annie was scared, but I couldn't tell what about. I sat next to her on the couch still leaving some space between us.

"What's wrong, Annie?"

She shifted her gaze up to me and I could see the fear in her eyes. I was concerned for her.

"Annie?"

She stood up and paced the floor in the living room.

"What's your school like, I haven't been to school in ages. I'm scared your dad.... I think he was scared too..... He hesitated he.......he told me I'd be fine."

I knew why this had gotten to her but she seemed overly worried about it.

"It's ok, I guess. It takes time to get used too, and they are really strict."

I paused looking at her she was still pacing, still scared.

"Annie, what are you afraid about? You can tell me."

She stopped pacing the floor and just stood there her beautiful arms by her side, eyes glued to the floor.

"I'm scared.... What if no one likes me? What if I get.....teased?"

I stood up and she flinched slightly, I stopped where I was standing.

"It's ok, Annie. I'll be there with you, I'll help you. I'll make sure no one hurts you."

I took another risky step towards her, she didn't flinch but I could see the fear. Where was this all coming from?

"Annie, I care about you too much to let someone hurt you. Your beautiful, and I think school will be fine. And if it's not, you will still have me."

Another step, and I could wrap my arms around her. But I stayed where I stood, she needed her space. I didn't know what else to say. She took a step towards me in a rush and wrapped her arms around me as she burst into tears, silent sobs. I felt her tears soak my shirt. I patted her back, to try to comfort her.

"It's ok Annie, let it out."

She pulled away from me and looked me in the eyes.

"I'm sorry.... I... I'm sorry."

She lent back against me as the tears and sobs were released. She gripped my back hard and I could feel her tense against me, fisting her hands up in my shirt.

"It's alright." I said as I kissed the top of her head holding her against me scared I would lose her.

Annie POV

-

-

I don't know what happened I just let it out, I was afraid of going to school, and strangely enough I missed my mum and sister. I was terrified. I fell against Jacob's well built body and just cried. He told me it was ok, and he kissed me on the top of my head rubbing my back.

I grabbed his hand, tears still silently streaming down my face, and looked him in the eyes. He reached his hand up to my face and wiped my tears away.

"You're pretty even when you cry."

He said with a soft smile. I kissed him on the cheek.

"I want to go up stairs."

He squeezed my hand a bit and walked me up the stairs.

"Do you really love me Jacob?"

I said as we walked down the hall to his room, my hand trailed the railing until the wall appeared.

"Oh, Annie. Of course I do. Your the best thing that's ever happened to me."

I pulled my arm back down to my side, telling myself to stay calm and not burst into tears again.

"Did you think I didn't?"

"No, I was just making sure."

I opened his door and walked straight to the window where I pulled the curtain back to look out over the paddocks as the storm hit. The horses running a muck into the shed, and the rest of the animals herding together. The sky took on a blackish, blue colour, and the lightning a bright white as it flashed across the sky.

"What a storm?"

I said, as I wiped at my itchy red face. It felt extremely dry from the tears.

"The worst we have had in months."

I looked at Jacob and grabbed his arm, he pulled me in for a hug.

"School will be fine Annie."

He said planting a soft kiss on my forehead as I looked up at him. I had nothing to say so I stood up on my toes and kissed him. I had wanted to do it all day, just a small kiss but even though now didn't seem like the right time. Some how it felt like the right time.

"I love you Jacob."

I mumbled with my head against his chest. Not crying just taking in his scent. How greedy.