Chapter Thirty-Seven

Annie POV

-

-

"Annie? I am here to give you your medicine, you also have a visitor."

I hadn't opened my eyes, but I didn't know I had slept the whole day.

"Hi, baby."

I slid over on the bed a bit, but when Jacob didn't sit down I opened my eyes. And was sorry for what I said almost immediately.

The head mistress was sitting on the chair next to my bed, and the nurse had a smile on her face. She was trying not to laugh.

"Here is your medicine, I better be off."

She puts the medicine down In front of me, with a glass of water and walks out the room closing the door behind her.

I whiped my face, it's covered with sweat.

"Sorry, head mistress. I thought I might have slept through the day."

"It's okay, Annie. I just came to check on you."

I smiled and lifted the blanket so it covered my hips, and took my medicine. Once I swallowed the last pill I put the glass down.

"Thank-you, how have you been?"

I say as I look at her. She looks a lot younger, but also really stressed.

"I have been well. How are you feeling?"

"Not too bad."

I stop because there is nothing I can say. I can't ask 'why are you here?' Cause that would definitely get me in trouble, in school or not. So I just sit there in the awkward silence that has grown between us.

"Sorry Annie. I just came to check up on you. Find out what you would like to do school wise, seeing as you would be away for, three weeks? Yes three weeks."

-

-

Jacob POV

-

-

"So will she be gone for the full three weeks?"

I nod my head as I put my bag down.

"Yeah, sadly she will."

"Well hopefully all will go well."

"Yeah, hopefully."

James taps Ryan on ten shoulder and Ryan shuts up. James sits next to me on the bus.

"Did you want to talk about it?"

I laugh deeply. And shake my head.

"No."

I pause for a moment, then the words on my mind flood out of me. Before I have the chance to stop myself.

"What if she has an attack while I'm at school? I won't be there for her. And if something bad happens I would never forgive myself!"

I sit there cursing myself, my head in my hands, and my elbows on my knees. I squeeze my eyes shut.

"They would contact you, the head mistress would let you leave. It wouldn't be your fault, man."

I know what he is saying is true, but it doesn't feel that way, not when I'm this far away from her. With out her for so long. We have been together almost everyday for the last six months, and these three weeks will be hard.

For both Annie and me. I don't want to screw her every time we meet at the hospital, but I don't want her to think I'm cheating on her. I know that she heard the conversation about Amy, and she might think I was getting board of her.

But honestly, I don't think I could ever get board of Annie.

I was so lucky she came into my life.

"Jacob...."

I lift my head up and James is patting me on the back. Well more of a friendly slap, then a pat.

"Get off man, it's your stop."

I walk off the bus and when I get off I realise I'm heading home. Kicking rocks that come across my path.

I can't carry on like this for the next three weeks.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I walk up the steps to the front door, and now I'm smiling. I haven't seen Bridget in a week. Maybe just over.

When I open the door she is sitting on the living room floor with dad.

I walk in and close the door behind me, my bag sliding off and falling to the ground beside me. I slip my school shoes off.

"Hey guys."

I say as I walk over to Bridget, who is now reaching her hands up for a hug. I pick her up and kiss her on the cheek.

"Hey beautiful. How are you?"

She talks her gibberish to me and I laugh. Extending my hand to my dad, to help him off the ground.

"Want a coffee or something?"

"No I'll be right, how was school?"

I hesitate a moment, but continue.

"Yeah it was okay, different but alright...."

"....Do you want to have a nap, I can take care of Bridget for you."

My dad smiled at me, and gave me a hug.

"Could you?"

I saw the look in his eyes, both worry and hope that I would say yes.

I smile at him, and look at Bridget.

"That's what brothers are for."

My dad walks up the stairs and goes Into his room. While i sit here with my baby sister.

I rest my forehead against her forehead.

Listening to her giggles and talk.