Chapter 9

AN - yaoiChibi this is for you! Check out her amazing stories.

~Bentobear

Update: I made a small booboo. This chapter was originally Kirk's for the confrontation with Damien's mom. Halfway through, I decided to make it Damien's. It had more impact this way.

Sorry for the mistake!

Damien’s POV

It’s been two days after my confrontation with Beta Lucas in Silver Moon territory. I can’t really process anything right now.

It hurts.

It’s what I wanted but it still hurts.

Flashback

I sneaked a sideways glance at Kirk. He was looking at me with a blank expression before continuing his conversation with Lucas.

“I’ve also chosen my Beta.”

Lucas tilted his head as he regarded the Alpha heir inherent. “And who would that be?” Wary curiosity plastered across his face.

“Adrian.”

End of flashback

“Damn it!” I muffled my scream with my forearm.

After Kirk dropped the bomb choosing Aidan as his beta, he ignored me. He just kept on staring at Lucas. I vaguely remembered the ambulance siren drowning out most of the conversation that followed afterwards. How I absently got on the ambulance with Miki as a whimpering Marco spooned her much to the chagrin of the EMT personnel. I didn’t even know how I got back into my house. I think I remember my mom getting angry after I brought one less choco drink container.

And now I’m here, on my bed. It feels like I got rejected but that can’t be right. Kirk’s not my mate. You smelled him, he’s your mate! My wolf growled faintly. I’m not sure. I was never sure of it. No, I’m sure he’s not my mate. I tried expanding my senses before I got on the ambulance, I think I did that. And I didn’t feel anything. Maybe what happened at the diner was a fluke. Adrenalin maybe? Or probably just mixed emotions after seeing each other after a very long time.

I sighed as a grabbed something underneath my pillow. My hand encountered the familiar smooth plastic rectangle. It’s a picture frame of Kirk and me, the year I got banished. It was Halloween. One of the most popular holidays of werewolves.

Of course as pups, we didn’t know we were werewolves. We were just taught by our parents a different kind of Halloween. Instead of trick or treating, we had something called the wild hunt. Pups pretended to be wolves and chased after a headless horseman. The object of the hunt was to grab as much candy as possible inside the plastic pumpkin held by the headless horseman. It’s a fun holiday event and it prepared pups on how to hunt without parents giving away their identities.

The Halloween during the year I got banished was very special. It was the holiday where Kirk got bored with the hunt and wanted to try something else.

Flashback

“Kirk! Where do you think you’re going?” I called after Kirk as he strayed off the wild hunt path. He was venturing deeper into the woods.

“Come on Dy! Let’s hunt something else!” Kirk gave out an excited squeak.

“We’ll get into trouble!” I hissed at him. “Besides, it could be dangerous!”

“Don’t worry, I’ll protect you!” Kirk puffed his chest at me. “I can shift now and I can handle anything in this woods.”

I rolled my eyes at his bravado. We were now a mile away from the wolf den. He was still a newly weaned werewolf so his senses weren’t that good. Mine were already developed so I kept my senses simmering. So far I only sensed foxes in their foxholes, several sleeping deer and nocturnal birds flying in the air.