Chapter Three-

When I woke up this morning, it took my memory a while to remember what had happened last night. But it wasn't until I was passing the school gates that the anxiety fully hit me. My feet stopped in their tracks and my eyes skimmed across the familiar faces of my friends that were scattered between the main entrance doors and the gates, amongst many faces I'd never noticed before.

    I licked my lips nervously and mentally shook my head, looking down at my feet I told myself to just simply put one foot in front of the other. I couldn't shake the feeling of everyone's eyes focused on me, but when I looked up it was as if I wasn't even there. 

    I let out the deep breath I'd been holding and quickly weaved my way into the building and the less-populated halls. I spared a quick sigh of relief before making my way over to my locker and sorting through what I needed and when. I thought I'd at least escaped confrontation with Lee for the better part of this morning, turns out I was wrong as I heard his familiar smooth, even voice from over my shoulder. 

    "Jake, can we talk?" I spun around to face him, my eyes skittered over the surrounding people that plagued the hall with their loud banter; anything to keep me from having to look into his eyes. I couldn't handle that right now. He repeated my name before tilting his head in a way of asking me to follow him. Unwanting to cause a scene, I obliged.

    He took me down into the near-empty Maths corridors, just underneath the staircase that lead up to the R.E rooms. The quiet was unnerving. I propped my leg up against the wall I was leaning against, my eyes still avoiding contact with his knowing blue irises.

    "Could you at least look at me?" His tone hinted that he thought I was being immature and pathetic, which just made me want to ignore him all the more. "Seriously?" I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Fine," he took a step towards me, the insides of my body jumped in alarm but I kept myself rigid to appear unaffected by his predatory gaze. My throat bobbed as I swallowed, my face growing hot and my palms clammy. I subtly wiped them against my jeans whilst clearing my throat. 

    "Does it really have to change things this much, Jake? It was a dumb kiss by a miscalculated judgement. My bad for wanting to dive into the deep end and take things a little further." 

    "Shut the fuck up, Lee, keep your voice down." My eyes jumped in line with his on impulse, panic a whirring noise inside my stomach at the loudness of his voice. 

    "I shouldn't have assumed, yeah, and I get that. But I think you're blowing things way out of proportion, dude." His voice didn't get any lower, which caused me to give him a sharp shush accompanied by pressing my index finger to my lips. He rolled his eyes. "Mate, I'm trying to apologise here, yeah, and all you can think about is who's listening. No one's even here, chill out and stop being so paranoid." 

    "Look, can we just not do this during school?" 

    "Like you'd give me the time of day anywhere else," he scoffed, taking another step forward. I had to agree with him there. His white sneakers shuffled towards me even more, only a small gap was left between us and I was beginning to feel nervous. My eyes darted from his shoes to his face, unsure of which part of his body I should really be focusing on. They definitely shouldn't have been focusing on that area they kept slyly skimming past, just below his belt, as they made their way up and down his person. 

     "You keep acting like this with me, someone's going to notice and wanna' know why. You do realise that, don't you?" I nodded in answer, watching him gingerly. "So either we just forget it ever happened and go back to normal, or we do something about it..." He trailed off, his eyes sliding to the left sheepishly. His feet closed the distance between us before I could move. His hands pressing against the wall either side of my head as he leaned in. The strong smell of our colognes mingling together.