Chapter 25

"Connor, I just," Evan sighed and rubbed his face. He was in the middle of an argument with Connor over his smoking habits. "I'm worried about you."

"Well, don't worry," Connor snapped. "I'm not- I'm not yours to control."

"I'm not trying to control you, Connor! I just don't want you to die! And I don't want to taste weed every time I kiss you!" His voice faded towards the end of the sentence. "You know what?" He shook his head. "I'll see you later." He grabbed his book bag and pulled out his phone to call Heidi to come get him from school.

Connor sighed and adjusted the strap on his bag. Then he went to see if Quinn could drive him home. He knew Jared would be out with his boyfriend so she'd have the car to herself. Zoe had band practice and had to stay late.

"Hey, Con," she said when Connor found her by her car. "What happened with you? I'm not starting the car until you tell me." When Connor didn't reply, she said, "Fine, don't tell me. I'll guess. You had a fight with Zoe?" No response. "You dropped your lunch and had to go without it?"

"What?"

"You got attacked by a pigeon and now you're traumatized."

"Okay, fine, I'll tell you. Just stop the ridiculous shit."

Quinn smiled and started the car. "So, what happened?"

"Evan and I got into a fight. We're probably over now."

"What? Connor, you don't give up on a relationship just because of a teeny tiny fight." She turned down a side street.

"What are you doing? My house is the other way."

"I know," Quinn said with a smile. She pulled up in front of Evan's house. "You are going to enter that house and apologize to your boyfriend."

"What?"

"Do you care about him?"

"Of-of course I do."

"Then march yourself in there and apologize. I'll wait for you out here." She turned off the car and put her earbuds in as Connor reluctantly climbed out of the car. He walked up the front porch and nervously knocked on the front door.

The door opened to reveal an Evan who had obviously been crying. Connor pulled Evan into a hug and whispered, "I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

"What are you sorry for?" Evan asked. "I'm the one who was trying to change you."

Connor let go of Evan and looked at him. "But you're trying to help me get better. I was the one who overreacted."

Evan brushed a strand of hair out of Connor's face. "So, are we, are we good?"

"Yeah, we're good," Connor said before kissing Evan's forehead.

"I take it I can go?" Quinn called, her head sticking out the passenger side window.

Connor rolled his eyes. "Yeah, whatever, Kleinman!"