9. We can't be just friends anymore

(A'N: If you guys want to hear the song, there's the youtube link on the right side. I honestly love that song even if it's not that recent. Hope you guys will enjoy this chapter!)

“Here’s our next song entitled ‘I can’t be your friend’ by the band Rushlow. And this song is for you, my angel.”

It burst out of his mouth; Clarence can’t help but say it. He supposed that having practiced that song for many times, Juliet should have caught what he meant. But it looks like Juliet was the densest person in the world. He wanted to spell it out for her and confess his feelings straight out, but of course, embarrassment went ahead of him.

“This might come as quite a shock,

But I've given it a lot of thought.

This thing that's come between us can't be ignored.

I've taken all I can;

This is where it's gotta end.

'Cause I can't be your friend anymore.

He turned and looked at Juliet. She was concentrating on her keyboard, seeming oblivious to the crowd around them and had her focus intent on the music that she creates. A few tendrils of her hair framed her face and a gentle smile played on her lips.

Clarence smiled at himself. Opportunity would present itself to him and give him the chance to confess to her. But for now, he’d better concentrate on going through tonight.

“An' I can't be accused,

Of not bein' there for you.

How many nights have you shown up at my door?

I hope you understand,

That this wasn't in my plans,

But I can't be your friend anymore.”

‘Had it been three months since he first met her in that music room? How many opportunities have already passed by?’ He thought.

 He knew from the minute he first saw her playing the piano that she was special, that Juliet is different from all the other girls he have known, which maybe is one of the reasons that he can’t confess immediately. He wanted to be more than a friend but can’t find a way to go through the walls she has erected around her heart.

“An' it's killin' me to know you,

Without havin' a chance to hold you.

An' all I wanna do is show you,

How I really feel inside.

You can run to me,

You can laugh at me,

Or you can walk right out that door.

But I can't be your friend anymore.”

Clarence had a feeling that this night, everything would change. Playing in front of the whole school with her would definitely mean that the secret is out. He could already hear the buzz among the crowd as she first entered the stage. After tonight, in one way or the other, Juliet would be known.

Then a disturbing thought occurred in him. If, no, when, Juliet becomes famous, she would be talked about by everyone. And by everyone, Clarence thought with a frown, he meant about the other boys of the school. Of course, the other guys, who didn’t even knew she existed before, would gather around her like bees on a honey jar.