7. You are pretty

Juliet couldn’t get Clarence out of her head.

As they were running across the hallway, she recalled in her mind how Clarence looked tonight.

Clarence looked exactly the way God must have wanted man to look like. His all-white outfit accentuated his long, lean body. Even with her stiletto heels, Juliet felt small compared to him.

He had that boyish look on his lean and angular face with high cheekbones and a straight nose. His hair, effortlessly styled, was dark brown and straight.  But it was his eyes that Juliet had always admired the most.

His eyes were hazel green and Juliet was always fascinated with its changes in color depending on the light. Tonight, it glowed in a soft, light green, like the color of leaves on spring.

She remembered how those green eyes looked blank and in shock when he stared at her. Juliet couldn’t help but feel worried that maybe he didn’t like what he saw in her. Ugh.  She badly wanted to see her reflection but she hadn’t noticed any mirrors as they passed by.

After a few minutes, they were at the backstage. Ms. Patty was busy checking if the bands were there.

“Oh there you are, Heaven. Move to this side please, just behind Sugarspice.”

They squeezed through the crowd and went to their designated place. Looking at the group in front of them, she realized that the band Sugarspice would probably play Rock music because they had punk outfits.

“You all right, Julie?” Ellie asked behind her. Juliet turned and saw that her best friend’s face was filled with concern.

She forced a smile. “Of course I am,”

Ellie sighed. “No, you’re not. Ugh, Clarence can be such a blockhead sometimes.”

“No, seriously, Ellie, I just—“

Juliet stopped midsentence because someone tapped her shoulder. Turning around, she saw Clarence standing behind her.

“Can I talk to you for a sec?” he asked seriously.

“Uhm, I don’t think—“

“Of course you can. You’ve got enough time.” Ellie butted in. She gave a gentle push to the both of them. “Just don’t wander far,” she added.

Before she could reply, Clarence took her hand and pulled her into a corner. She bowed her head in embarrassment when she noticed that people were staring at their way.

“Uhm, Clarence—“

“You look stunning tonight.”

Juliet looked up in surprise. She hadn’t expected that from Clarence. She saw sincerity and open admiration in his eyes, which is why she can’t help but blush under his gaze.

“You’re kidding, right?” she said softly.

“Of course not,” he replied seriously. Juliet just shook her head.

“Why won’t you believe me?” he said in a frustrated tone.

“Because I know I’m not pretty.”

“And who the hell told you that?”

She took a deep breath. Painful memories raced to her mind whenever the topic was brought up. “Someone,” she said in a painful voice.

“Then they are wrong.” he said in a hard voice. He looked straight to her eyes. “You are beautiful.”

As if to prove his point, he pulled her to the nearest dressing room and let her face the mirror.

She was indeed pretty, Juliet thought as she stared at her reflection. The raven-haired beauty in the mirror was more than a match for Clarence tonight. She noted the hair, the dress, everything. Ellie had clearly done her magic.

But a sneering voice kept ringing on her head, ‘Do you honestly think someone like me would fall for someone as ugly as you?’

Clarence took a step forward and Juliet threw an apprehensive glance at him.

He sighed and said, “Look, I’m sorry for what happened earlier. I think I worried you when I didn’t say anything.” He noticed that she took a step backward and inwardly felt frustrated. “It’s just that, I was really speechless when I first saw you.”

“No, it’s okay.” She smiled to lighten up the mood. “I would be shocked too if I saw me a while ago.” She gestured her hair and the dress and shrugged. “I just wished that Ellie should have let me see what she did to me.”

“Why didn’t she?” he asked, confused.

“Well, you know Ellie,” she shrugged. “She likes doing things her own way and she knows I don’t feel comfortable when applying makeup.” She grinned and gestured her reflection at the mirror. “What a transformation,” she muttered.

“What, you think you’re pretty just because she applied makeup to you?”

“Yeah,” she said, curious as to why he sounded incredulous.

“Juliet, I can’t believe you. You...” He trailed off, unable to express he astonishment. How could this girl not know how beautiful she is?

A knock on the door prevented him from saying that. They both glanced at the door and saw Ellie’s face peeking in.

“Sorry to interrupt, love birds, but Sugarspice just went to stage and Ms. Patty want you back pronto.” She grinned mischievously and left.

They both stood in awkward silence until Clarence smiled and took her hand. She looked at their linked hands and softly smiled too.

“Well, we better get going.” They left the room smiling and went to their friends.

***

Ellie saw their hands and grinned widely. When they reached her, she pulled Juliet aside and looked excitedly to her friend’s face.

“You girl, have soooo much explaining to do later on,” she whispered excitedly to Juliet. Juliet blushed and Ellie saw Clarence looked at their way again.

Oh, the boy has gotten it bad, Ellie thought. She noticed the way his ears reddened when he looked at her best friend.

Ellie felt smug. It was definitely worth the effort and skills she did tonight to transform Juliet. She wanted to help her friend and the least that she could do was dress her up. Ellie knew Clarence’s taste. She knew that he definitely loved the way Juliet looked right now.

“Stand by, Heaven.” Ms. Patty announced. It sounded like Sugarspice was playing their last song.

“Oh, I’d better move so I can get a decent place later.” She went to her boyfriend and kissed him.

“Good luck James,” she said, smiling at her boyfriend. It may not look like it, but as his girlfriend, Ellie noticed that James was looking very nervous.

James smiled. “Thanks, Ellie. See ya later,” He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and a light hug.

Ellie moved to Simon. “You too, Simon. Break a leg!”

“Hey Julie,” she said and hugged her best friend. “Good luck and do your best, you hear?”

Juliet nodded and hugged her back. “Of course I will. Thanks for everything Ellie.”

Clarence also went to her side. “Hey Ellie, wish us luck.” He said lightly.

She nodded and went to the side door. She waved to her friends and went to the front of the stage, where her other friends are waiting. Ellie took a deep breath and linked her hands, as if to pray that everything would go smoothly.