Chapter 14

"So you think you got it all?" Sue asks while eyeing me up and down.

"Yep." I nod trying to sound confident.

"Good because you have your first customer of the day." She motions to the door as a tall older gentleman, in about is thirties or so I would say walks up to the counter.

"Hey what can I get for you today?" I ask in my best, most polite voice with my best customer service smile.

"Ah, could I just get a large black coffee to go?" He asks with the most disinterested face I think I've seen in my entire eighteen years of life.

"Yeah of course," I grab a large to-go cup, throw some fresh coffee bean sino the machine and push the button to make it start brewing. "So that'll be $2.05 please."

He hands me the change which I return with his coffee. "Thank you, have a nice day." I smile to him while he walks away mumbling a "Same to you ma'am"

"How was that?" I ask Sue, who is still standing at my side, the second the front door closes behind him.

"That was good so far, just wait until you get to the more complicated orders." She politely replies while tying her long, greying hair into a tight bun. "If you need me I'll be in the back doing paperwork. If I lose track of time just let me know when it's twelve O'clock and I can cover you for a quick fifteen, and then I'll also cover you for your lunch at two."

"Okay thank you. Have fun with the paperwork." I lightly laugh.

"Yeah for sure." She sarcastically jokes back.

She makes her way into the back as I begin to help another customer. For the most part things go fairly soothly for the rest of the morning, other than a customer who claims that our drinks were too pricey and wanted a discount on our dollar monster cookies. I decide to stay at the cafe for my hour lunch, I was hoping to talk to Harry while I was on my break, however it just so happened that he was in a meeting for the majority of my lunch. At about seven O'clock I am finally able to go home. I make my way into the back to hang up my apron, I am almost out the door when Sue stops me.

"Hey kid." She calls after me. I turn back around to face her, closing the door so as not to let in too much cold winter air. "You did pretty good today. If you can come in tomorrow, just for a couple hours, say about eight to eleven, I should have you worked into the schedule."

"Okay, thank you!" I thank her and continue outside to my car. I decide to stop and pick up a burger and fries at a local diner before making my way back home.

When I get home I decide to go through some of Harry's books. Eventually I decide on To kill a Mockingbird. It used to be my favourite book when I was younger, my dad would read it to me even from a young age. I make some peppermint and then settle down for the night with my book.