twenty-three: trust

[Moon Haru]

The gunshot noise just echoed around the place, and I don't know who got hit. I didn't pull the trigger, and Jungkook didn't seem to pull the trigger too.  Everything seemed to happen so fast that I cannot even comprehend on what's happening around.

Jungkook immediately grabbed me by the hand as we both ran towards the stairs. “Where are we going? Let me go!” I said, trying to get out of Jungkook's grip but failed. Jungkook wasn't saying anything, as he was focusing on running.
I tried to squirm out from his grip, and again, I failed, “Where are you taking me? What's that gunshot noise?” I asked, but then again, Jungkook didn't say a thing.

We ran towards my car. “Unlock it.”Jungkook simply said, and I shook my head, “Why? Tell me what's going on!”I exclaimed. Jungkook snatched the keys that is hanging on my pocket and unlocked the car. He dragged me inside, while he sat at the driver's seat and started the engine.

“Jungkook-”I said, but Jungkook clasped his hand on my mouth, while his other hand was on the steering wheel. “Shush.”he said, let go of my mouth and went to adjust the clutch.

He stepped on the pedal and drove backwards. A few seconds later, someone shot the hood of my car, but luckily for us, it missed hitting either Jungkook or me. I immediately ducked, shocked by what's happening around us. “Who is shooting?” I asked, as Jungkook drifted the car to turn around, the noise of the car's tires that are getting dragged sideways on the concrete street was heard.  Then he drove fast that made me lean on my seat immediately.

“What's happening?”I asked, half-shouting, “Did you really kill the vice president? You were the hitman who was ordered to assassinate the justice secretary too?”I bombarded him with questions, tears were brimming in my eyes. “I'll answer your questions later.” Jungkook said coldly as he turned the wheel to the side, making the car go right and enter a highway.

“But why-” I said, and I was interrupted with a gunshot noise from the back of our car. I looked at the mirror, and there was a Hummer jeep following us. My eyes widened, “What the heck.” “Ah, shit.” I heard Jungkook curse under his breath,
“Wear your seatbelt.”Jungkook advised, and I did as he told. Jungkook overtook some cars in the highway, making the car that is chasing us get stuck in heavy traffic.

Horns of the cars beeped, and I know that they are complaining about Jungkook overtaking and cutting off their lanes. But before the traffic police spotted my car breaking the traffic rules, Jungkook immediately made the car go sideways, which is supposedly not the way for cars to pass by, then the car went uphill. I was holding on the handle of my car, uttering a prayer. When the car is already back on the road with no traffic, I heaved out a huge sigh of relief. “Do you want to die?!”I told Jungkook, “If you're planning on suicide, then do not include me in that.”

Jungkook just continued on driving fast, looking at the rear mirror from time to time. I looked back, “No one's there.” I said, and went back on my seat. The speed of the car slowed down to normal, and I leaned my head on the window, looking at Jungkook, “Why? Who was chasing us earlier?”

“Mr. Song.”Jungkook replied, and I raised an eyebrow, “Mr. Song?” “Song Eunhyuk.” Jungkook says, and I remember that name from somewhere. “The president's assistant.” I said, which made Jungkook nod. “They are after you.”

My eyes widened, “What? Why?” “Because you are being too loyal on your job and they think that they have to eliminate you to avoid getting their secrets discovered.”Jungkook says, “And now, people might think that I kidnapped you or something.”

I crossed my arms on my chest, “You do really need to explain a lot to me. Do it right now, Jeon Jungkook.”

Jungkook was silent for a while, and then he sighed, “I became one of Mr. Song's hitmen in the past two weeks. He ordered me to kill the justice secretary and the vice president.”Jungkook admitted, which made my fists clench, “Why? How did you, and how could you?”
I looked at Jungkook in disbelief, “If these politicians are corrrupt, then it doesn't mean that you can kill them. Fight  off evil with peace, don't fight evil with evil.. Because what makes you different?” I paused, “You'll be sent to prison and spend all of your life in there.”

“The world is evil, Haru. You can't just fix that problem even if you try to. The government is corrupt and hungry for more power. They are manipulating the people under them, and even the police too.... You just don't know.”Jungkook says,“You cannot fight evil with peace. Nothing will change. That's a fact in this bitter reality. Those who are at the top stays at the top. I'm trying to save your life here.”

What Jungkook said made me bit my lip, “Why, out of all people, they chose you to do those kind of killings?”

Jungkook was silent for a while, then he heaved out a shaky breath,

“I don't know.”

Silence followed us, as Jungkook carried on driving my car. We're going out of town, and I don't know why am I even coming with this guy. I looked out the window, as we passed by the buildings that stood just beside the street.

So Jeon Jungkook is really a criminal.

My thoughts on him were wrong. But he hid that secret job of his really well. Is he lying to me every time? What else that I don't know about this man?

“Is it still the same?”

Jungkook asked, focusing on the road, not looking at me. I looked at him, “What is still the same?”

“....what you said before.”Jungkook says.

“Now that you know that I'm doing bad things..”He paused,“Is it still the same? Would you still go with me?”

There was a long silence before I managed to reply to Jungkook's question.

I sighed, “Out of all people that you can call in that situation back at the building earlier, why did you call me instead? You know that I'm a police officer and I can arrest you right now.”

“Because I trust you.”Jungkook said flatly, which caught me off guard a bit. My jaw tightened, “Then I have the same answer to your question.” I managed to speak out.

Jungkook looked at me, “What?”

“I don't know if I'm out of my mind, but there might be a reason why you agreed on doing bad things. I trust you. It's still the same.” I said, and I saw a small smile tugging on Jungkook's lips as he heaved out a huge breath and carried on driving.

_____________________________

lawl I should finish our research presentation and research plan but look at what I'm doing ahahahahha rip grades