Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13

                A single beep was all it took to pull back Cindy to the real world. She was already in dreamland when her phone rang and disturbed her. She gently rubbed her eyes and tried to reach for her phone on her bed side table.

                Hi :) 

                Layne texted her and immediately she asked herself what Layne’s problem was. She was already sleeping and he bothered her slumber just to say hi.

                Hi??? Wrong sent.

                She pressed the sent button and she was about to place back her phone to the table when Layne replied.

                No, that’s for you. You’re still up?

                When she read Layne’s text she wanted to roll her eyes of how ridiculous his question was. But her eyelids were still too heavy. She could barely see the screen of her phone without squinting her eyes over and over.

                No, actually Cindy’s sleeping.

                Yeah, she was grumpy when she was having a really good dream, a dream where she was flying in the sky with birds, and somebody woke her up when she was already getting to the good part; the part where she was about to land on the clouds. She always wondered how the clouds would feel like to touch and somebody just took that chance away from her moments ago. And she was feeling really pissed about it.

                Cindy turned her night lights on and she emerged herself into a sitting position for she knew that the text session they were having might take them some time and her drowsiness was slowly fading away anyway.

Since the guest room was just beside her bedroom, she could hear a distant laughing voice. And she figured that it was Layne and that made her smile.

                Lol! I’m sorry baby. I have a surprise for you.

                What is it? She replied.

‘What more surprises can Layne Williams do?’ She asked herself.

                “Why’s your bedroom door open?” Layne, all of a sudden, blurted without notice and at one fell swoop Cindy’s heart jumped out of her chest.

                “What the… you scared the life out of me Layne!” she squealed as low as she could manage, she didn’t want to wake up her family.

                “I’m sorry,” he apologized as he entered her room in a measured pace. “But why do you keep your door open? Isn’t it dangerous? What if somebody ransack your house? You’re giving them an easy access to you.” Layne’s voice was staid with concern.  

                “I got used to it, I think,” she said. Layne’s question somewhat made her wonder. Ever since she was young, Cindy always kept her bedroom door open and closing it made her feel different so she never shut the door when she was sleeping.

                “But it’s advisable to close it baby,” Layne insisted as he let himself sit at the side of Cindy’s bed. Cindy scooted to the farthest end and by accident bumped her elbow to the headboard.

                “Yeah, I figured. But why are you here? And who told you to sit on my bed?” Cindy stated defensively. She pulled the covers up to her body when she realized the lack of clothing she was wearing. She was only wearing a skimpy cotton nightie with no brassiere underneath.