Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

Friday, December 13, 20XX

“Someone’s got something for someone,” Kim started to chant at the exact moment Layne and Exel approached the girls.

Kim’s mischievous smile was all over the place and Cindy couldn’t help but be a little embarrassed. So she started to regret buying the shirt in the first place. If only she didn’t owe Layne one and if only her stomach wasn’t such a big baby.

“Oh I see a lil’ pink blush on that someone’s face now,” Krishia joined Kim with the joshing. “Too cute, right?”Krish smiled and looked over to the boy she held hands with as she asked for a reaction from him.

Nate nodded as he gave Krisha a smile back and said, “What’s more priceless would be the reaction of the other someone. I assure you.”

“Oh trust me, we know,” Kim giggled. Cindy’s friends were really cheery when they teased her with Layne.

“Why are you, people, talking in riddles?” Exel who didn’t have any idea got puzzled and curious.

“Yeah, what’s it about baby?” Layne who hurriedly went to Cindy’s side was curious too.

“Oh my ghad, baby, that’s just sweet,” Kim emphasized the word “baby” really bulky.

Cindy was just thankful that Kla wasn’t around to join in her two “accommodating” bestfriends. Note the sarcasm. Speaking of Klarisse, Cindy suddenly remembered that Kla was waiting for them at the library café. She had a meeting there with the rest of the student council.

“Stop it you guys,” Cindy skidded, she was too embarrassed already and a traitorous blush was flushing her face for too long. “It’s no big deal, you know. It’s not like I grew a male organ or something.” She rolled her eyes. It was just a pay to a debt. That was it, nothing more. So she told herself not to be embarrassed, cause for her it was nothing but a pay. But she was embarrassed anyway. “Here.”

Cindy handed the paper bag to Layne without even looking at him. She definitely didn’t want to witness the smug face Layne would be having. “I owe you a shirt, so there. Don’t, in any way, think ahead of yourself.”

“Aww, that’s just sweet,” Krishia and Kim said in unison.

“Thank you,” that was all Layne mastered to say. A weird smile was planted on his lips and for the first time he was out of cheesy lines. He was staring at the paper bag with his eyes glistening. He didn’t expect that Cindy would make an effort to buy him a shirt. She’s so sweet, he thought. At least now he knew that somehow, Cindy thought of him even when he wasn’t around. Even though Cindy particularly said not to think ahead of himself, he felt special.

“Come on, open it Layne, we’ve been dying to see that since yesterday.” Krishia sweetly ordered.

“Cindy wouldn’t let us take a peek.” Kim added and pouted a little.

Layne looked at Cindy as if asking for permission from her.

“Yeah sure, it’s yours now anyway,” she replied gruffly. She was still feeling embarrassed.

So Layne opened the bag and fished the shirt out of it. He then unfolded the shirt with care. And the weird smile he had grew even weirder and wider.

“It’s you,” he said softly, seeing that the print was a girl with a fiery red hair.

“Is that custom-made?” Nate asked.

“You love me too much baby, considering that you have it custom-made.” Layne smiled at Cindy.