27. Family Barecue

June's P.O.V

My mom was so proud of me yesterday for getting the job. She even made me a cake to celebrate, which was a specialty of hers. I was so glad to have accomplished a good paying job at a decently sized music store downtown.

Right now, we were all getting ready to join Gordon and his big family in his barbecue, and I could tell that we were all pretty excited for this event.

Liam was waiting for me downstairs while I got dressed into a casual summer outfit: batman tank top with white shorts and Liam's SnapBack.

I was told that Gordon had a pool in his backyard, so mom told me to bring something in case I wanted to swim.

I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs.

As soon as I reached the bottom, Liam looked up from his cellphone and smiled, his expression changing the moment he really looked at me.

"Whoa," he breathed. "You look stunning," he said as he scanned me up and down.

I admired his style in tank tops with his biceps showing and everything.

"And you look hot," I commented and joined him on the couch.

"I dress to impress you," he shrugged and I rewarded him with a kiss.

Mom skipped down the stairs, also wearing a pretty summer outfit: a flowy top with white shorts and a sun hat. ....Sometimes I can't believe she's my mother, and not my sister.

I smiled as she joined us.

"Ready to go?" she asked the two of us.

We nodded and gathered our things.

"KEITH, LET'S GO!" she yelled upstairs and he came speeding down in just his swim shorts.

"POOL PARTAY!" he shrieked and tossed a random tiny beach ball at me.

"Put on a shirt," mom demanded and he obeyed with a long sigh.

"Hey, Liam!" he greeted and did the usual boy handshake.

"Looking good, Keith," Liam replied and we made our way to the van.

***

His house was nice.

It made quite an enterance when we walked up to the backyard; it had trees leading up to the house! I swear, I felt like I was walking into a castle, except the castle was a little petite. It made me a very excited to see the interior.

I looped my arm around Liam's as we walked through the back gate, and into the large backyard.

Tables were set up and nice music was playing in the background. A few kids were running around and jumping in the pool, while a couple members of Gordon's family were seated around the yard.

"Lettie!" a voice said. "You made it!" Gordon emerged from behind the barbecue grill and gave my mom a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi, June!" he beamed and pulled me in for a nice hug.

"Hi, Gordon!" I greeted with a smile.

He held his hand out for Liam. "You must be Liam. Lettie has told me nice things about you, young man."

Liam firmly shook his hand. "Nice to finally meet you, sir."

"Please, call me Gordon," he said casually and he went to shake Keith's hand as well.

An old woman came walking towards us.

"Oh! Mother!" Gordon brought her closer to us. "This is Lettie, the lovely lady I've been talking about, and this is her amazing family!" he introduced us one by one. "These are the twins, June and Keith, and June's boyfriend, Liam."

She grinned widely and brought us all in for a hug, while telling us how beautiful or handsome we were.

"Guys, if you wanna take a dip in the pool, go on ahead! It's really nice in there," Gordon said after his mother was done smothering us with hugs and compliments.

I smiled. "Thanks so much!" I told him.

Just then, I felt a cool liquid splash all over my back and I turned to find Keith and a few kids squirting me with large water guns.

"Keith!" I shouted when I realized that they weren't squirting me with water. "WHAT IS THIS?!" I questioned as the sticky liquid seeped through my only change of clothes.

"I don't know. I swear, I thought it was water!" he shouted as he dropped the gun to the floor and raised his hands in defeat.

"Orange soda," the giggling little boy said to me.

"Keith, really?" mom glared at him, clearly disappointed in his actions. "You are the adult here. What example are you putting out there?"

"Tanner, Shelbie, Frankie! That wasn't nice!" Gordon said behind me. "Say sorry to June!"

The three kids mumbled sorry's to me as the let their guard down.

Considering the fact that they were children, I lowered my anger rate.

"That's alright, guys," I said calmly and little smiles were planted on their faces.

Gordon dismissed the kids to return to their playing, but demanded that they get rid of the soda guns. As soon as he made sure that all the soda was poured out and replaced with actual water, he returned to me.

"I'm sorry, June. They're my niece and nephews. They always have shenanigans like these," Gordon apologized.

I shook my head. "No, that's alright. I completely understand. They're just kids," I said with a smile.

"If you need to change, there's a bathroom through that door, down the hall, to the left," he said, pointing towards the house.

I smiled. "Thank you."

He nodded with a smile.

Liam rubbed my arm. "You okay, love?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just forgot to bring a change of clothes. I honestly thought that I could just...change back into these," I said, waving my hand at my outfit.

He smiled. "Don't worry. I brought an extra shirt."

I grinned and pecked his cheek. "I love you."

"And I love you," he replied and looked towards the house. "You gonna swim first?"

"Only if you are," I shrugged.

"Let's get changed, then," he suggested and held his arm out for me to take it.

We walked towards the house together and prepared for a nice swim.

I passed by Keith, who mouthed another "sorry" and I flashed my middle finger at him.

He looked down in guilt and I looked away.

"You know you can't stay mad at him forever, right?" Liam mumbled to me.

I huffed. "I know. I'll only stay mad today."

He chuckled. "Stubborn one, aren't you?"

I shrugged but scoffed. "I know.."

~~~