46•Misfortune

A loud, awful cackle resonated, forcing me to face the ever irksome, evil maiden. She looked at me with utter happiness in her eyes. So what if she'd just lost her daughter? Or, for her, her personal beastly pet. She could care less about those around her. I couldn't grasp her idea of a family. And if we were to become one, how horrid and depressing would it be?

I felt a hand around my own, reassuring me; reminding me that I wasn't alone in this mess. Sea blue orbs gazed at me filled with such strong emotion- not pity or worry but belief. He was ordering me to stand up and sew the woman's mouth shut because, Merlin, were we annoyed by her cackles. 

But none of us paid attention to the vile woman. Our undivided attention fell upon the limp body on the ground, that sputtered nonsense before coughing and trying to push herself up. 

"Kira," I gasped, too afraid to move. Frightened, that this wasn't real and I was hallucinating. 

She coughed terribly, holding herself up on her elbows and knees. Erza lowered her sword, the slightest bit before lending her a hand. The dark haired female didn't have the energy to take up the offer but did try. Evergreen stepped forward, helping Erza carry the severely injured mage. 

No one fought- not a single body moved, not even Hex. Her eyes were wide and her lips in a thin line, clearly unhappy with what was happening. 

 I could only assume that her plan had backfired. Kira was never supposed to return but my spell somehow only sucked out 'Azura'. 

I didn't think much of it as I sped towards the witch who I'd been searching for nearly all my life. I hadn't really planned on what my reaction would be like. Maybe, deep in my heart, I never thought I'd find her at all. But here she was. 

She was comparatively weaker than when she was in her demonic form as Azura. Her skin hadn't received much of its color back and she had become thinner in a matter of minutes. Her hair was long and messy, and her clothes tattered and far too big for her. 

"Kira?" I whispered, bending down before her and placing a comforting hand on her knee. She glanced at me, looking dazed but gasped once her eyes landed on me. 

"Marie," She whispered, running her bony fingers through my hair. "Oh, you look so young. It's done, it's over. I suppose that was the end," She looked down, where my hand was and held it in her own. 

"Kira...You're alive. You're here... with me, Y/n," I murmured, feeling the dampness on my cheeks. She stared at me doe eyed, her thin, chapped lips quivering as she tried to form words. 

"Y/n...Y-Y/n," She muttered, her voice cracking as she raised her hands up to cup my face. She pulled me towards her in a motherly embrace, one I'd longed for since she'd left me. 

"Oh Y/n," she brushed my hair off my dirty face, smudged with blood and dirt. 

"You're here...I'm here. It's all going to be okay, now," I whispered, more to myself than her. 

"I'm..I'm sorry," She breathed, eyebrows scrunching together with sorrowful eyes. "I had to keep you away from her. I- I never meant for it to get this way," She placed a warm hand on my cheek and gave me a sad, apologetic look. 

"We'll talk later," I smiled at her, and she nodded, trying to stand up. "No, no. You're injured. I'll be doing the protecting today," I placed a reassuring hand on hers. 

The swords had already begun clanking as the mages fought. Lucy had stayed by Kira's side and encouraged me to go back into battle- to fight for our guild- to protect my master, my mother. I gave her a grateful smile and narrowed my eyes at Hex.