22

Normani allowed the wind to rush through her fingers as she stuck her hand out of the window. The fresh air was a welcome relief to her lungs and she basked in the glow of the sun. She was wearing maroon shorts and a black tank top and was the most comfortable she'd felt in a long time.

With her free hand she typed out a text and pressed send.

Hey Mom. Just arrived, in the car now with Dinah. I'll call you later to say how things go and where I'm staying.

Love you x

She slipped her phone back into her pocket as Dinah turned the radio up. Countdown by Beyoncé filled the car. Normani grinned as she began to sing along, Regina providing backing vocals from the back seat. Dinah rolled her eyes, children.

As the car rolled up to the house Normani felt her chest tighten. She was nervous and excited but more importantly she was desperate. She needed to see her.

When the car stopped no one moved for a whole minute. Finally Dinah opened her door and informed Regina she'd be back in a second. Normani followed suit but leaned over the seats to give Regina a quick hug first. "I'll see you soon Gina." Normani said giving the child another quick squeeze.

Once she was outside the car Normani inhaled deeply. "You'll be fine." Dinah assured her handing the bag pack over. Normani nodded staring at the ground fiddling with the straps of her bag.

"I live fifteen minutes away. You know the plan. If it turns out shit text me and you can stay at mine till your flight. You got this." Dinah smiled encouragingly and nudged Normani.

Normani nodded once more before plastering on a smile. "I've got this." she repeated. She turned to face Dinah. "Hey no matter what happens today I want you know the gratitude I feel toward you. Throughout all of my struggles you have been there for me with not only open arms but an open heart. You are one of the most compassionate people I know and I'd be at a loss without you. You were one of the first people I came out to and you'll never be able to fully comprehend what your support, encouragement and loyalty has meant. I am both glad and honoured to say you are one of my closest friends and I am so thankful for that." Normani blushed, this open sincerity feeling unfamiliar but necessary.

Dinah sighed and rolled her eyes, a soft smile playing on her lips. "You're an idiot." She said pulling Normani into a quick hug before pushing her toward the house before she slipped into the car. "Go and text me after either way."

Normani grinned back as she signalled with a thumb up and watched the car pulled out of the driveway. It was no or never.

Camila and Taylor sat on the couch, Camila's head resting on Taylor's shoulder. She rubbed her eyes but didn't move from her curled position.

"I can't believe you fell asleep during Lord of the Rings. It's literally one of the most exciting movies ever." Taylor stated amused at Camila's antics. "It's nothing compared to Harry Potter." Camila yawned stretching her arms while staying tucked against Taylor.

"I forgot how ignorant you were concerning the brilliance of J.R.R. Tolkien." Taylor declared narrowing her eyes feigning offence.

"Whatever. I just don't see why the big eagle thingamabobs didn't drop the rings in the volcano. Like why let dwarves do it?" Camila complained.

Taylor exhaled deeply. "They're not dwarves. They're hobbits. They literally have a whole series named after them. I - You know what never mind. It's moments like this I wonder why I even talk to you."

Camila grinned up at her. "Because you love me, obviously." Taylor rolled her eyes. "You're okay I suppose."

A noise from the door grabbed both of their attentions. Camila bolted up, jaw dropped.