Chapter 20: Void Part 3

Grunting, she ran straight ahead towards them, shooting off countless blades of wind. 

"What are you thinking?" Swearing, I shouted, "Charging just like that is so reckless! Is your head just an empty decoration?"

"Hahaha, you just have been criticizing me from the get-go, however, don't worry, I am amazing after all!"

She declared, confidence oozing out of her every pore. 

Slipping in and out like a fairy, she eluded every attempt made to grab her with elegance and ease. Slicing her hand through the air, she aimed one of the blades at the ceiling.

Ah, I see. Not bad, considering how idiotic she acts.

Using a whirlwind to propel herself, she darted to me and pulled me up. Using another whirlwind, we were thrust out of the window and sailed high into the sky. The building collapsing into rubble right behind us.

"Ahhh! What are you doing? This is it. The end of my pathetic seven years of life! I apologize, father, mother for leaving first before you, ehh, wait I'm an orphan so that doesn't even matter..."  I rambled on, my brain in full panic mode. 

"Hahaha, you are indeed amusing. I decided. I like you. Come, work for me." She stated.

"We are going to die and you ask me to work for you?" I asked after calming down and accepting the fact of my death.

"You give up way too easily! Who says we're going to die? Listen up, you brat, you can die only after you struggle and struggle with every fiber of your being. Only then, you can pat yourself on the back and say good job, before then, don't you dare stop!" She declared in a condescending tone.

Ha, a brat me? You're not much of a brat yourself, I wanted to shout, but was interrupted by a sudden and powerful urge to hurl.  

With another wave of her hand, a powerful gale launched us forward to a clearing in the forest surrounding my "claimed" house. We then ran non-stop till we reached out of the forest to the nearby town.

There, after we wandered about a bit, she found her parents in tears, frantically searching for her. Then a furious lecture ensued with her in tears at the end of it. 

Her parents, two warm-hearted individuals, accepted me on the spot, bringing me into their home estate, asking me to work as a servant, which brought me to the current situation shown on the screen, Wilhema waking me up. 

And so, blissful days followed, with me getting dragged off somewhere by her and the time I reached home, I would collapse on the bed, fatigued, unable to move a muscle. The screen showed several memorable scenes as well.

Then it changed.

Changed to that night. The night where they discovered my power.

A couple of people broke into the mighty estate. Considering the mansion's top-notch magical defense and alarm system, they were powerful and sneaky enough to bypass the system, proofing more than anything that they were the best of the best of the professionals. 

I encountered them by pure coincidence. I just woke up to go to the toilet. 

A split second was all time the three trespassers needed to recover and switched their gear to attack and charged straight at me.

Panicking, I shut my eyes tightly and placed both hands in front of my head to protect myself and opened my mouth to shout for help.

The next thing I knew, the world flipped a hundred and eighty degrees and I was lying on the floor, with a man wearing a ski mask, knocking the air out of my lungs by planting his knee on my chest. No yelp of pain came out of my mouth, only sputters and gasps.  

Panic welled up in surges, adrenalin courses through my bloodstream and my vision blurred. I grimaced in pure agony, foaming at the edges of my mouth, with tears leaking out of the edges of my eyes. Not being able to take in fresh air normally, an action usually taken for granted was unbearable, intolerably severe form of torture.

Waving my right arm frantically, trying to scratch at the man face futilely, I clenched my hand, only managing to grab a fistful of air, while my left hand failingly tried to pry off his knee of my chest.

And my ability activated.