Chapter 6

6

Is everyday a shockwave day? I mean think about it, look at the stuff happened to me these past few days. I think my mind will explode one day if I keep getting these surprise attacks that are tearing apart my family. It’s bad enough that I lost a friend – a very important friend, but the fact was my life was getting worse each day. The truth was (although I didn’t actually mind it) Courtney was in jail.

 I wonder what she got sentenced for. It’s not every day you see your older sister being sentenced to jail. I wonder if Matt was in with her when she was “accused” of doing something. I needed to ask Mum.

“Mum what was Courtney sentenced to jail for? I mean what did she do that made her get arrested?” I asked whilst eyeing her frequently to make her feel uncomfortable. I did this because whenever she felt uneasy or felt an annoying presence on her, she always spill the beans to anyone who was near her. It was always fun to mess around with Mum but I needed to know why Courtney was arrested.

“You must keep your mouth shut if I tell you. You might spill the beans with your popular friends at school about you sister getting arrested because they’ll think your even more cooler.” She looks down and felt betrayed. I felt uneasy about what Mum said when she said “your popular friends.” Mum still doesn’t have a clue that I only have a few friends. I was lying to her so I could impress her. Putting this problem I’ll deal with later aside, I replied back.

“Mum I’m not daft enough to do that. Those people I hang around with aren’t the secret-keeping types,” I say nervously.

“Courtney has been arrested for driving without a licence and carrying illegal drugs in her pocket. I’m very sure that someone planted those drugs in her pocket but police don’t believe my statement because they think it’s just another act that a Mum does to keep their child away from jail. The nerve of them thinking they can do what they want angers me,” she says whilst clenching her red fists.

 I felt guilty about something because I kept it from Mum. I didn’t have the right to do that because I wasn’t the “mum” in the family. I had to tell her or I couldn’t sleep with this thought inside my head. If Mum knew sooner, this would not have happened.     

“Mum I have to tell you something but you might not like it. When you found out Dad was cheating on you I had found out that day that Courtney was back together with troublesome Matt. I didn’t think it would matter to you until this day. She didn’t officially go out with him on that day but I saw on her phone messages that were sent months ago.” I look at her whilst rubbing my hands to show I was nervous. She took a deep a breath and stood up.

“If I had known sooner this would not have happened. You shouldn’t have kept this from me,” she said. Her voice was going louder each word.

“I know Mum I shouldn’t have kept it from you but I was so angry at her for doing this at that time.” She doesn’t listen to my explanation which was completely unfair.

“You’re not a Mum yet and you act as if you know everything when you don’t. You lied to me right in my face when I asked you where she might’ve gone when it was just me, you and Ed. Now because of you she went with Matt with all of her savings and look where she ended up. If you had just told me this earlier this would not have happened.”

“It’s not my fault she fell in love with a tramp. Mum we don’t need her. She actually planned to runaway to the Goth boy. You are really being shallow considering she said that she was ‘Glad to leave this hellhole’. Mum why are you so stupid?” She looks at me and doesn’t say another word. I totally regretted saying that. She goes to the staircase and as she was in the middle of going up the stairs, she speaks.