Chapter Ten - A Figure in the Dark

"I'll call you later tonight OK?" Crete said to Carrie as we all stepped out of his car.

"OK," Carrie said leaning through his window to kiss him before he left, "Alright guys' what do you want to do now?" Carrie asked turning to Khoal and I.

With a tired smile I walked up to give her a hug and she looked confused,

"We gotta go for a little while" I said, "We won't be leaving again but I need you to remember that we are still wild animals'. It's a big change to be around so many people again" I added but she looked like I had just told her I was going to fly to the moon.

"Well where are you going to go, you both can stay here" Carrie said quickly and I laughed,

"We'll just be out in the woods somewhere" I said and before she could protest any more I shifted.

Giving my pelt a shake I brushed against Carrie's legs before running towards the trees.

'Are you going to tell me what was wronge earlier today?' I questioned Khoal as we raced through the trees.

'I already told you I don't know something just didn't feel right, there was something off in the air' Khoal answered and I rolled my eyes.

We ran for an hour or so more before we found a thicket where I curled up tight against Khoal staying awake until I felt his breath slow and deepen before I let my eyes shut.

"Siah! SIAH!" a voice screamed,

Shifting around I pulled my paws over my head trying to block out the sound.

"SIAH!" the voice screamed again and when I recognized it as Carrie's the fur on my shoulders' rose and with a snarl I tore away from a startled Khoal.

I sprinted through the dark woods my ears pinned to my head,

'Carrie' I howled and I heard her let out another scream.

Breaking into a small clearing I froze. Carrie was on the ground her eyes wide as she stared at something to my left. I prowled into the clearing my eyes weavering and that's when I saw him. A large brindle wolf stood just on the edge of the clearing, partialy hidden in a line of bramble his fur rising with each step I took.

'Who are you?!' I snarled my lips pulling off of my teeth as I stoped in front of Carrie.

The wolf remained silent and my anger grew.

'Answer Me!' I yelled but he still didn't move,

We stood there staring at each other for what couldn't have been more than a few moments but felt like years, and that's when I heard it. The sound of Khoal charging towards us caused both our heads to turn and the male growled.

'I'm new that's all you need to know' A baritone voice growled in my head and I was stunned that he had responded.

Matching the wolf's gaze he slowly back into the brambles before turning and disapearing into the night.