Chapter Twenty-Two

Just as Bennet spoke those words, a hard knock sounded at the door.

"Amara! It's time to go, my love!" Christopher called from the other side. Bennet's hand tightened on my waist as he watched me call out.

"Just a moment, I must fix my gown!"

Bennet rubbed his thumb across my lips before sighing, resting his forehead upon mine, "Please don't go."

"I must. Now that you know the truth, you must protect yourself."

"I must protect the both of us," he whispered back. "I love you."

I closed my eyes, savoring the moment, "I love you more." I then stepped away, making sure Bennet was out of sight when I opened the door.

"Are you ready?" Christopher forcibly placed my hand in the crook of his elbow as I closed the door behind me.

"As I'll ever be," I answered, following my family as we headed out to the hanging. Death Day was a solemn day in the land, but was only given to those who had done horrendous crimes. The Duke was no exception.

We took our seats in the stands, which were only for us and the royal family. I saw the King once again, who nodded at me, before turning to ask Arthur a question. Three other young men sat beside the King, and two barred a resemblance.

"Those are Crown Prince Fredrick and his brother, Prince Ronald. The third is Princess Martha's husband, Prince Jarrod," Valencia whispered to me after she saw me looking. They seemed nice enough, I concluded, but Martha had originally as well. The mask they often wore as royalty faded when those they deemed inconsequential were around, as I had found.

Bennet joined his brothers soon after we had seated, Martha directly behind me. Bennet caught my eyes for a second, love shining in them, before turning away to protect me. Martha narrowed her eyes at us, and I made an effort to scowl at her. She glared back, but upon seeing Christopher's hand in mine, smirked and turned her attention forward.

The King stood and spoke to those who had gathered, "Today, citizens of Cavendire, we will witness the demise of Abraham Goethe, a dreadful abuser." As he said this, the former Duke stumbled on stage with a cloth bag over his head, dragged by two Guardians. "He abused his own family so much, that their youngest had to run away to be safe." The crowd murmured in outrage. "The hanging he is getting today, is a fit punishment for the crimes he has committed." The bag was ripped from Abraham's head and he looked blinded by the light before focusing his eyes upon us in the stands. Olivia clung to my and her mothers' hands as he scoured our faces.

"Do you have anything to say before you are hung?" The King asked, as it was tradition.

"Yes." Abraham started. "Sons, you were the light of my life. Had the awful female spawn never been born, I would not be here right now."

"How dare you!" Matthew stood, yelling at his father. "She has every right to be in this family."

Abraham spit on the ground, glaring at Olivia, "Valencia was supposed to give me only sons, had so been the tradition in my family for generations."

"Olivia is the light of this family!" Arthur stood beside his brother, and Vincent stood as well. "She will be better than all of us when she is grown."

Abraham faked a laugh, "All women are nuisances. They just need to sit down, shut up, and follow orders. There isn't anything else they are capable of." Christopher was sitting beside me, nodding along to what Abraham was saying. I recoiled from him, shaking his hand from mine.

I stood beside my brothers and addressed Abraham, "That is where you are wrong. We are much more than just pawns to be controlled. We are intelligent, brave, resourceful, and hardworking."

"Ah, the underling speaks!" Abraham sneered at me. "Why aren't you dead yet?"

"Leave her alone!" Bennet stood, shouting.

"The Prince and the Servant," Abraham mused, smirking. "I wonder how everyone feels about that." By then, the noose had been placed around his neck, and he was standing in position. The crowd murmured again as Bennet and I exchanged looks, Martha and Christopher seething. "Love isn't real, boys and girls." And with that last line, and a nod from the King, the executioner pulled the lever.

Abraham was dead within seconds.

The crowd rejoiced, but everyone in the stands was still shocked from what had transpired.

"How dare you," Christopher grabbed my arm, forcing me to the ground below him. "You are nothing but a woman who deserves nothing!" He kicked my stomach, where my wounds had halfway healed, reopening them. I cried out in pain, and the Guardians subdued him, but Christopher continued yelling insults as he was dragged away. I clutched my stomach as Bennet appeared over me.

"You're going to be alright, I promise," he brushed my hair from my face as he called for a nurse.

"Bennet, you can't help me," I whispered against the pain. "They'll hurt you."

"That doesn't matter," he answered, cupping my face. "You're more important." He leaned down, meeting his lips with mine. The pain melted away for a few seconds as our kiss took my attention, until Bennet groaned, pulling away. An arrow stuck out from his shoulder, blood dripping on to my gown, pooling with my own. I screamed for help. The Guardians instantly surrounded us and the royal family, looking for the shooter. Bennet collapsed across me as his eye lids flickered closed.

"Bennet, don't you dare. Bennet...Bennet!" I screamed, shaking him. The nurses came, carrying Bennet away from me as I screamed, trying to stand and follow them. I sobbed as Bennet disappeared from view as another group of nurses came over to attend to me. "Please, I need to be with him!" A rag was held against my nose and mouth and I struggled as my limbs began to feel heavy. "Please...I...need...him."