Chapter Twenty

After the shock wore off, I turned angry. How did Christopher know Martha anyway? How did I know he was telling the truth? And kill Bennet?

"How dare he?" I stomped my foot as I stopped the pacing in my room.

"Who dares to do what?" Arthur called through the door, so I walked to the door and opened it. Arthur, Matthew, and Rosaline were standing outside the room. They filed in, Rosaline perching on the end of my bed and Matthew and Arthur taking the chairs.

I look outside the door and into the hallway, checking for Christopher. I closed the door and crossed the room to the window, "Christopher just threatened to kill Prince Bennet with Princess Martha as an accomplice if I don't marry him."

"What?" Matthew asked through clenched teeth.

"How-how awful!" Rosaline exclaimed and Arthur tightened his hold on the armchair.

"He didn't give me a time period, but I think he'll be telling me more soon."

"Wait-why would he think you would be upset about killing the prince?" Rosaline asked and I gave her a small smile.

"Because I love him."

"Oh," Rosaline's eyes grew wide.

"Well, Sister," Arthur said, standing. "I do believe we need a plan."

---------------------

Four hours later, I was heading down for dinner when Christopher pulled me aside into a small hallway.

"You're so beautiful," he murmured, and I cringed at the ravenous look on his face.

"They'll hear," I said, trying to pull away, but he held me back.

"We should announce our engagement to them, then," he said, before marching out, pulling me along with him. I stumbled over my feet as I obediently followed.

"Family!" Christopher yelled as we walked into the dining room, everyone but Vincent, was present. My eyes widened at his exclamation. "We're getting married!"

Valencia stood from her seated place at the table, "Excuse me?"

"We're getting married," I squeaked as Christopher shook our clasped hands at them. Arthur and Matthew exchanged eye contact with me and I nodded.

Valencia started to say something, but Arthur stood up quickly, "How wonderful! I knew you were good man, Christopher."

Olivia looked at me with tears in her eyes, "But you're supposed to marry Benny!"

Matthew pulled her into his arms, "She loves Christopher now."

"But the prince and the servant..." she trailed off, sniffling. I wanted to console her and tell her what was going on, but I was worried she would tell by accident.

Christopher pulled me to the table and sat down, placing me beside him, "So, what's for dinner?" I winced at his such lack of manners and Valencia's face morphed into anger.

"How dare you walk in here like you own the place. You have not been invited to dinner, therefore, you must leave," Valencia pointed at the door and Christopher gripped my arm enough to cause bruises.

"Tell her to make me stay," he growled under his breath.

"Please, let him stay. I apologize for his disrespectful actions, Valencia," I said, my arm throbbed in pain once he let it go. Valencia took one look at me, before sitting down, signaling for us to be served. Christopher talked most of the time, telling awful stories that I had to keep pretending to laugh at. When dinner was over, I excused myself, but Christopher followed me from the room. We went to my room and I pulled him in, and he gave me a look from head to toe that made my skin crawl.

"I'm so glad you want this as well," he whispered, pushing me towards the bed.

"No, Christopher," I said firmly. "After we're married." At least that was the excuse I used.

"Fine," he pouted, pulling me next to him on the couch.

"So..." I paused, "How do you know Martha?"

He laughed, "Do you think she hadn't done a thorough check into your life? Silly petal."

"What's her plan?" I tentatively asked, placing my head on his shoulder to make him feel like I was prodding for information.

"I'm not sure," he said, planting a kiss on my head. "But as long as you do what she says, Bennet stays alive. As do you."

"I must get to bed," I said, rising from our position. He followed me towards my bed, and began to sit down. "What are you doing?"

"We're to be married, we must share a bed," he said, winking.

"No, please leave," I said, pointing towards the door.

"What if I don't want to?" He asked, his voice turning dark. "You are to be my wife, yes?"

"Of course," my voice stuttered.

He watched me for another minute, before turning on his heel and leaving. I let out a sigh of relief, locking the door behind him. I sagged against it, trying to calm my erratic heartbeat when a knock sounded at the door.

"Who is it?" I called out, afraid of a return from Christopher.

"It's Vincent."

I quickly unlocked the door and ushered him in, "Vincent! How did it go with Lauren?"

A tired smile came across his face, "I ran after her, but I couldn't find her. But, I went directly to her house and confessed my love for her to her family. After a little convincing, they are going to allow me to marry her."

I clapped my hands, "Wonderful! I'm so happy for you!"

"Now we just need to get you figured out," he quirked an eyebrow. "What's with this Christopher thing?" I explained how it began and let him in on the plan.

"We're all going with Valencia to Abraham's hanging," I said, and he nodded. "The plan is to get Bennet alone and explain everything to him before Martha or Christopher can find out."

"And if they do?"

I shrugged, "Escape with Bennet somewhere."

"What if he doesn't believe you?"

I sigh, "I just have to hope that he will."

"If he loves you, he will," Vincent reassured and I nodded.

"But in the end, I cannot marry Christopher. I cannot be with someone who doesn't make me feel like Bennet does."

"I understand completely, Sister," he said, smiling.

"When are you going to ask her?" I switch back to Lauren.

"Soon," he smiled. "I just need to get a few things ready."