Chapter Fifteen

My eyes flickered open and I groaned in pain. It was now the second time I had almost died, and I was just as surprised to be alive this time, as I was last time. As I moved my eyes around the room, I examined the blue and green decorations. The bed I laid upon was as large, most likely larger, than the one at Bennet's home. No one else was in the room, so I moved the blanket down, exposing my stomach. Cloth was wrapped around it and was soaked completely with blood. I lightly touched the cloth and whined at the pain I felt. The door was then opened, and a distraught and disheveled Bennet walked through the door. His gaze was focused on the floor and his clothes were wrinkled. He fell into a seat pulled up next to the bed, his head in his hands.

"Hi," I was able to say, despite my dry throat and the pain.

"RaRa?" Bennet slowly moved his head to look up at me. A smile grew on his weary face, "You're awake!"

I coughed, but pulled a smile on my face, "Looks like I am. I feel awful though."

"No doubt," his smile fell off his face as he handed me a goblet of water. "Why did you do it?"

Confused, I answered with my own question, "What do you mean?"

"Why did you hurt yourself, Amara? We said we'd take care of you," Bennet placed a hand on my cheek.

My brows furrowed, "Hurt myself? Bennet, Martha stabbed me."

He shook his head, "No, she went to check on you and screamed when she saw you laying on the floor with your hand wrapped around the knife. She hurried to get help for you."

"She did this," I said sternly.

Bennet's gaze turned furious, "Why would you lie about this? I know you're upset with Martha, as you should be, but she would never try to kill you."

"Why don't you believe me?" Tears pricked at my eyes as Bennet glared at me. "Why do you ever think I would try to kill myself?"

"You told me that you think of yourself as a nobody!" Bennet yelled, tears forming in his own eyes. "But, I didn't think you'd hurt yourself just to not be with me."

"I do want to be with you, Bennet!" I yelled, before clutching my stomach, crying out. "I just think you deserve so much better."

"You are so much more than you know, RaRa," Bennet lowered his voice, wiping a tear from his face.

"Amara!" Olivia's voice cried out as she ran towards me. She jumped on the bed crawling over to me and falling into my outstretched arms.

"It's okay, Livvy," I ran my fingers through her hair. "I'm okay."

She mumbled into my shoulder, "I don't want you to die."

"I'm not, see?" I said, gesturing to myself. "I'm still here." Bennet stood off to the side, a frustrated look still on his face. "I'm not going anywhere."

Martha then took the moment to sway into the room, a handkerchief blotting at her obviously dry eyes, "Oh, Amara, darling! You're finally awake!" Her eyes flashed as she took in my appearance with Olivia in my arms. I stiffened as she made her way over, "Please, never try something like that again."

I clenched my teeth, "I. Didn't. Do. It. You should know."

Bennet snapped, "Goodness, Amara! Just because you're upset, don't take it out on the person who saved you." He was standing behind Martha, and placed a hand on her shoulder. She brought the handkerchief to her face, smiling behind it.

"Oh, it's alright, Benny," she patted his hand. "Let us leave her alone to get some rest. Come on, Olivia."

"No, I'm staying here," she said defiantly.

"Alright," Bennet said, pulling Martha away. "But let RaRa get some rest, okay?" Olivia nodded and once the door closed her face turned from sad to serious.

"I know you didn't do it," she said, clutching my arm. "We need to get you out of here."

"Why?"

Her little face was taut with worry, "I heard Martha preparing something. Something big. Mom and I have a plan."

"A plan?"

"Yes, Amara. Act as though you are sleeping. Do not eat any food that you are brought. I will return at nightfall and we will escape."

What about Bennet? The little voice squeaked in my head and I pushed it away. Bennet doesn't believe me, I told myself. He'd be better off without me.

"Alright," I nodded, sliding down further in the bed, exhaustion creeping up on me. Olivia kissed my cheek before scampering out of the room. I closed my eyes and settled back into the pillows, not needing to act. I was awakened by a Guardian with a plate of food.

"Eat," was all he said after clanking it on to the side table. I eyed it warily as Olivia's warning rang in my head. My stomach rumbled and the food smelled delicious. I finished my cup of water, but turned away from the food, grimacing from the pain.

"You should eat, Amara," Bennet's voice came from behind me.

"Not hungry," I mumbled as my stomach growled loudly. The bed sank down as Bennet sat beside me.

"You're healing, you should eat."

"I won't eat that," I said angrily, refusing to turn over to look at him. "Why are you here?"

I felt the heat of his hand as he hovered it above my shoulder, "I'm just checking on you."

"Check on your sister," I spat, shifting away from him. "I don't need you to check on me."

The heat from his hand disappeared, but the weight on the bed didn't. "I know you don't need me to, but I wanted to."

"Why, Bennet?" I finally pushed myself to turn around at look at him, tears gracing my eyes. "Why do you care? You don't even believe me."

"I...I..." he stuttered as I glared into his eyes.

"Please leave," I whispered, wiping my eyes. "I don't want to see you anymore."

"But, RaRa..." Bennet reached for my cheek and I pushed his hand away.

"Leave!" I cried out and he stumbled backwards at the force of my words. He rushed out of the room without looking behind him. I sobbed after he left, my heart squeezing in pain like my stab wound.

I found out that heartbreak hurt worse than being stabbed.