Part 14

The rest of the week flew by, I had 2 “trust classes”. One was a support group, where we all sat around and talked, it was boring and uneventful, and I found myself zoning out and thinking about dinner. The other, was usual trust class, but Nash didn’t show up. He didn’t give me any warning, he just didn’t show. Which meant that I had to partner with some kid called Johnny, who kept trying to touch my boob, because apparently ‘he’d never talked to a real girl before’.

Come to think of it, Nash had barely been in Science all week. And when he was, he wouldn’t talk to me. I never saw him at lunch anymore, it was like he just stopped caring about me. Well I mean, it had only been a few days, but even still, I made it to Friday without more than two words to him. Sure, I ‘hated’ him, but he kept things interesting. Without him to argue with me, this week had been really dull. And I had no idea what I had done to offend him.

So Friday rolled around and the day was pretty much the same, I had been talking to Matt a lot, he was the one who told me to come to Nash’s party tonight. Another weekend, another party. This is how the teenage life goes.

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go to this one, seeing as how last time I made some mistakes and drank a little too much. But Matt’s cute dimple and promises that it would be fun convinced me otherwise. So somehow I ended up agreeing. And not surprisingly, somehow I figured I’d regret it.

*****

I pulled up outside the familiar looking mansion, in Gilinsky’s car with Taylor, Matt and Johnson, I took three deep breaths before unlocking my door and stepping outside.

Once again, it appeared as though we were fashionably late because everyone else seemed to already be on their fourth drink. I felt a sick feeling in my stomach, like I shouldn’t be here. I didn’t belong with all these people, I used to be just a quiet, shy kid who kept to herself. But I couldn’t go back now, not yet.

Last time, I wanted to avoid Nash but this time, I was actually curious in finding him. If he was drinking, then he might tell me why he’s been avoiding me.

When we walked through the doors, Johnson and Matt went to the usual room, Matt tried to pull me along but Gilinsky said he needed help with getting drinks. I was grateful as I followed him into the kitchen.

He started rooting through the cooler for beer and I scanned my fingers along the drink labels, which were on the counter again. I couldn’t remember what Carter gave me last time. But then again, maybe that was the point of the drink.

I decided to pass on a drink, and Jack led us back into the room with the rest of the boys and their friends. They were already in a wide circle, playing truth or dare and other silly games.

Now that I was sober, I didn’t really feel like playing. So I sat on a couch behind them and picked at my nail polish. After about ten minutes of nothing, I wanted to find Nash.

So I excused myself and began walking towards his room. I didn’t want to see him with another girl, I didn’t know if I could laugh it off again. But it was the only place I figured I’d find him.

I pushed the door open, but there was just a neatly made bed and no one else. I walked in and sat down on his bed, I’d never really been in his room, beside the time I was making out with him, and all the times I walked in on him with someone else.

I flicked through a black notebook on his bedside table. It had sketches in it. Little drawings of different things. They were incredibly detailed. I began to wonder who he stole this off, when I saw the initials N.G in gold on the back. He didn’t take art in school, so I never knew he could draw like this.