Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I was even thinking that I wasn't good enough for God's best... Le'Andria Johnson - "Jesus" 

4 days later

Mama Jingles sat in her kitchen skinning potatoes with a strawberry Swisha Sweet hanging from her lips as she lectured her two grand daughters. 

“What the hell did I tell you two to start doin’? It’s like ya’ll come to me for advice and act like ya’ll listening, but don’t even apply shit that I am sayin’ to either one of your lives. I can’t play grandma save yo’ ho’ ass grand daughters! I’m gettin’ too old for the bull shit! Talisha you really think you pregnant and you have no place to go, but to your little sister’s house? I can’t believe this shit! Then you just finish tellin’ me that you don’t know who the father could be? Chile, get the hell outta my kitchen, no better yet my fuckin’ house.” Mama Jingle’s said as she turned her nose up at Talisha and looked over at Casey. 

Neither one of the sister’s wanted to find their selves being lectured about life from their grandmother. When Mam Jingle’s went into lecturing mode, there was no way to find your way out of being criticized for your wrong doing. Talisha couldn’t hold back the tears that where pounding her eyes to be released. She tried to play it cool, but was hurting from the truth that her grandmother was speaking. If it wasn’t for Cavon running back telling his grandmother that his mama and aun’t was fighting in front of his daddy and uncle, then neither one of the sister’s would be hearing shit at the moment. 

“Before, you open up your mouth to speak Talisha, suck up them damn tears. I don’t need no salty water in my drink. Now get up and go pour me some of that dry Gin into my glass of cranberry juice right there on the counter for me, please. You girls damn sho’ kno’ how to raise my pressures!” 

Talisha did as she was instructed to do. Casey sat on the bar stool in the kitchen and started to play with on her iPhone. She honestly didn’t understand why her grandmother wasted her time acting like she was such an outstanding law abiding citizen. Having Cavon over at her grandmother house often times made her worry. Major drug dealers from the East Bank always made a stop by her grandmother’s house to pick up coke, that was stored in underneath her popular best-selling pecan candy in specially wrapped delivery boxes. She was so slick with dealing her coke and heroin that she had became one of the most infamous go-to drug dealers, and you wouldn’t even know it. 

“What the hell you doin’ on your phone Casey? If you spent the same amount of time that you do on that damn phone with Cavon then your ass wouldn’t be here hearin’ what the hell I have to say to you and your sister. Would you now? You think that I didn’t hear about you probably being pregnant too? You should be ashamed of yourself for fighting your sister over, Everton low-down good for nothing ass!” 

Casey smiled and put her phone away. She been knew that her grandmother hated the ground that Everton walked on even more now that he was a free man. What her grandmother failed to realized that, Everton was going to be around for a lifetime. Even though he once tried to rob her grandmother for her money and product, she still had love for him no matter what. Talisha rolled her eyes at Casey’s nonchalant attitude that she always now seemed to carried with her everywhere she went. It was even slowly starting to piss her off, even though they were back cool again. Mama Jingle’s smiled as she took a sip of her cranberry and dry gin concoction. 

“Grandma’ you act like I can’t take care of myself as an adult. I really don’t like how you be talking to me like I am less of a person. I do all I can for my son and you know it too.” Casey snapped on her grandmother as she rolled her neck. 

“Young lady, if you act like a ho’ then I will treat you like one no matter if we are in my house or yours and we are having the same conversation. You sayin’ that you do all you can for your son is not making me look like a damn fool either, Casey. Let’s get one thing straight too. If you raise your voice at me again, I will have not one problem with putting a fuckin’ bullet in your pretty little left foot. Play with me if you want too.” She snapped back as she blew smoke in her face across the kitchen island they were sitting at.

“I’m sorry grandma, but I am going through a whole lot right now. I am just tryin’ to keep my cool and live my life without any interruptions on how to live it. I think I am pregnant for Warren, but I will know by the next two weeks if I am or not.  On the other hand, Everton was goin’ to propose to me too, but we over as of now. Don’t judge me either. I am only human and I am not tryin’ to get shot in the foot.” 

Mama Jingle’s didn’t know how to lable her gand daughter after hearing what she was just told. All she decided to do was to start back peeling her Idaho potatoes for her whipped, buttery, and well-loved country style mash potatoes with baking bits. As much as she wanted to beat the hell out of Casey, she just stood up from her chair and walked over to her collard greens and pigs feet that were cooking on her stove top. 

“Casey, come see. I want to show you something. You too Talisha.” Mama Jingles asked as she began stirring her pot of greens and smoked pigs’ feet. 

Both of the sisters walked over to the stove and looked at their grandmother. “Now, y’all see me stirring these greens right? I want for both of you to think about the process that I had to go through to be able to cook ‘em.”

Neither one of the girls had an idea what she could be going at with the collard greens and smoked pigs feet that she was stirring in the yellow pot. 

“Okay, grandma you washed them off about three times and boiled your water and then started cookin’ them, right?” Talisha asked as she watched her stir them slowly.

“Your right, about me washing them off, Talisha. We can’t eat any dirty muddy greens, but think about it like this. You know I am not the holiest of holiest at all. I never claimed to have that trait in my blood. If you think about it deeper or in another way, you will understand that I am really going to give you and your sister food for thought.” 

Their grandmother loved cooking and her love for God’s word fed her soul more than her soul food ever could. She knew that both of the sisters had similar traits of their mother. Casey was more defensive and naive, and Talisha was more of a fighter and someone who held on to grudges. Mama Jingles knew that Talisha was straying away from the word of God as soon as she fell in love with Malone. She missed going to church with one of her grand daughters and her only grand son. Casey always had an excuse; probably because she was always getting high and getting abused by Everton. All Mama Jingle chosen to do was to just pray for her grand daughters. She even wondered if their life would have been better if their fathers where around. No matter how much things could have been better, their grandmother knew that it was this way for a reason. 

“Let me tell you young ladies something,” Mama Jingles started in deep thought.

“Think about being washed in the blood of Jesus. I know that you girls don’t read the Bible, but just like these greens in this pot that are clean, they were once dirty. You girls, wouldn’t be going through life confused about your trials and tribulations if you hand them over Jesus. There is a better way of living, then having all of these men in and out of your temples. All of them men could care less about how you feel about you as a women of Christ. Or any of them men feeding y’all soul with the word of God? No, they just now getting both of you pregnant and leaving you both lookin’ crazy.” She said as she walked back over to her seat. 

“I don’t know what to say grandma.” Talisha said with her head down.

“Grandma, is it true that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future?” Casey asked as she walked back to her seat.

“Yes, and I can tell you that you both need a healing for y’all souls and grandma need one too. No matter if either one of you are pregnant, I will be here to see y’all through. Let’s end this in prayer, and get my two baked chicken and peach cobbler out of the oven.”