Chapter 19

"Hey, (Y/N). Heard you were leavin'." For once, Steve's smile didn't seem ridiculously out of place, "Listen, we may have had a rocky working relationship but for what it's worth, you will be missed."

You flashed a smile, one which had no bearing in your eyes. "If all goes well, you will bientôt be honoré with good riddance."

"No, don't say that." Steve attempted an aversion tactic but you had stopped listening. Other important issues awaited your attention. "Alors, the whole team is assigned to this mission?" You cut off whatever it was that Steve was saying.

"Don't worry. There's enough room on the jet for all of us." Bruce appeared out of nowhere. His petite and quiet self was easy to lose admist the vociferous company that he kept.

Whatever the case may be, you weren't expecting this magnitude of ignorance; from him at least. "C'est.... That's not what I meant." You said, "If all of you will be departing, who will be there pour tenir le fort en bas? To hold the fort down?"

"What are you talking about?" Clint's eyes left his bow and locked on you. "What is she talking about?"

You channelled all your negotiating power in this one argument. "Needless to say, the number of your ennemis is significatif, considérant your line of work. Leaving la tour unattended, such négligence is not expected from you."

"She's right. One of us has got to stay back and guard." Natasha declared. "Not me!" Her, Bruce and Clint called out all at once.

"If it is of any valeur, if it were up to me to put someone en charge of the entire tower, I'd pick Capitaine Rogers. Je veux dire, who better to take care of la sécurité of the building and that of the ville if it so happens to be jeopardised?" Glorify his contributions, stroke his ego, anything to get Steve to stay back.

Steve looked around suspiciously. This wasn't the first time you had stopped him from going on a mission and he couldn't quite figure out your reasoning. But given that this was very possibly your last project with the team he decided, in the best interests of all, not to raise Cain.

"Alright, fine. Everyone gets one last wish." He conceded. A moment passed before you realised what had happened. Steve Rogers had agreed with someone without unnecessarily causing a rile up. Wow.

A retort was required, so you quickly gave one. "You talk like I'm about to décéder."

Steve laughed. Clint rolled his eyes. Natasha hit him on the back of his head. Bruce tried to stop her. The usual.

"Alright people. Everyone aboard!" Tony called from inside the jet.

The call  caused ample commotion. Goodbyes were said. Hugs were exchanged. Natasha stayed in Steve's arms for just a little longer than necessary.

The sight made you feel warm inside. Then without wasting a second, you scorned at yourself for feeling any of it.

Seven hours away, Alaska awaited your presence.