Chapter 6

"Daddy! Daddy!" The little girl's feet stopped in their tracks when she saw her parents in their work clothes, preparing for departure. "You're leaving?"

Steve noticed the sullen expression on his daughter's face. He picked her up and spun her around. "Now, (Y/N), what did daddy teach you the other day?" He asked after placing her in his lap.

"Always think of others before ourselves." (Y/N) replied with a scowl, "But that's silly! It keeps you away from me."

Natasha kissed her daughter's forehead and lightly ruffled her hair. "We'll be back before you know it, sweetheart."

Little (Y/N) didn't say a word. She merely nodded and left. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened and even in her tender, young age, she knew it certainly wouldn't be the last.

That night, Natalie was struggling to get her younger sister to sleep. (Y/N) insisted on waiting up for mom and dad. It was something, Natalie knew, wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

"Come on, (Y/N)." She persevered, "You have school tomorrow." (Y/N) felt the infinitesimal hope she had fade away. "They aren't coming home, are they?" She sighed and her (Y/E/C) eyes glazed over, "Why don't they love me?"

Natalie felt her heart skip a beat. "What are you talking about? Of course they love you."

"Then why aren't they with me on my birthday? And why don't they remember?"

Just this once, Natalie Rogers didn't have an answer to her sister's questions.

"(Y/N), you're practically all healed up!" Bruce was bubbling with excitement, "Tony, it worked! The new technology worked! Now we can use it on the team without the fear of it backfiring."

Once Tony stopped doubting you, basically all suspicion was lifted off.

"Excusez-moi?" Your head snapped up. "You used non approuvé technology on me without my consentment? This is preposterous, docteur Banner. If something were to happen to me, which one of you would have taken responsibility?"

"But it didn't, right?" Bruce meekly defended himself, although he didn't look like he wanted to. In the thrill of bringing into practice his latest creation, he had completely surpassed the part about informing you. And now you were mad, as one would be.

"I'm sorry." You took a deep breath. It didn't matter. You were healed and weren't dead, that was of importance. An amateur expression of rage would be highly unprofessional. "Just, don't do this to anyone else. What happened with me, I'll let it pass. Seulement because I'm unharmed."

"Noted." Tony genuinely appreciated your generosity.

"(Y/N), Tasha and I are headed to the training room. Say, you wanna come with?" Steve offered. As soon as the question was put forward, your mind began working beyond its capacity to look for an excuse. Fortunately, someone else did that for you.

"OR!" Clint's interruption was unnecessarily loud, "I can show you around the building. I'm sure there's some section of your report which concerns itself with infrastructure."

Barring the fact that Clint's sole incentive for making the proposal was monetary gain, $500 to be precise, it was a nice gesture; one which got you out of an inherently awkward situation you indubitably weren't looking forward to.

"En réalité, there is." You smiled gratefully. "Merci, Monsieur Barton."