Chapter Nineteen - Zaira's POV

EYLO :D

I don't really have much to say right now, so...

VOTE, COMMENT and FAN XD

***

Why Boys Are Idiots

Chapter Nineteen (Zaira’s POV)

            My left eye twitched ever so slightly as the sound of horns filled my ears.

            No, not the horns on a cow or a bull, if that's what you were thinking about. Besides, those horns didn't exactly make sounds.

            I meant the fire trucks. It was only eight-thirty on a Sunday morning, and people were already coming out of their houses to see what was going on. Or, in my case, mostly to escape my overly annoying brother.

            Sure, I was a bit worried about my best friend. But still, the situation that they were in was kindof funny, if you think about it. I mean, they got into this much trouble from trying to make pancakes? I just couldn’t wait to see the expression on the firemen’s faces once they found out.

            As the thought of pancakes rolled in my mind, my stomach growled loudly, but not as loudly as the angry neighbours' shouting as they gathered around Addie's house - at a safe distance, of course - wondering what was going on.

            Well, I had just been staring outside when I saw a light smoke coming out of a window that belonged to one of the townhouses across from mine. And after a little while of freaking out, I realized that it was Addie's house, and that just made me start freaking out even more.

            It was about a minute before I finally calmed down enough to call her. I knew for a fact that they had been planning on waking up early to surprise Addie’s mother. She was probably still in for a big surprise; just not the same kind.

            Why had I been looking out the window? I had just been thinking…about my parents. My mom had disappeared again, despite the fact that I had even woken up extra early to make her breakfast, just like my friends had.

            My dad hadn’t bothered to call me again since we last met, and for some reason, I was kind of disappointed. I wanted to know more – more about what really happened back then. Or more specifically, two years ago.

            Swallowing down the lump in my throat, I settled on the couch and began eating a bowl of cereal, which, along with my mood, tasted like soggy cardboard. I wasn’t allowed to eat on the fancy leather couch no matter what, but since no one was home and my brother was back in bed…no one was there to stop me.

            Sighing, I turned on the TV and flipped through the channels, finally deciding on Spongebob since nothing good was on.

            I guess I would have to make her dinner now.

            ***

            Eight hours later, my mom still hadn’t shown up.

            Actually, now that I thought about it, I wasn’t even sure that she came back last night.

            My mom had been ‘working’ extra late for the past week, and I was beginning to suspect something. I mean, if you were working, you shouldn’t come back smelling like alcohol, right? She couldn't honestly expect me to believe those ‘we just had a few cocktails as a celebration’ excuses.