Winterspell (Murder)

We come with the rain,

We are free-falling now,

No choice but to trust this

As we fall into the void.

Edward D. Mason

.............................................

The day darkened.

Clouds ominous and vengeful.

As evening creeped closer, my emotions grew more chaotic. My thoughts jumbled and I felt everything lose its meaning.

The woman that said she was his mother had only shed a single tear. She was trying to hide her sorrow.

It wasn't hard to see that she was ranked higher than the rest and didn't want to show weakness.

They dug a hole deep and rectangular, and

wrapped him in a white cloth and buried him. No one said anything, they simply helped with the burial.

One of the men that helped had white hair and stuck a piece of old looking paper to the cloth they wrapped him in.

I couldn't help but tear-up as they started covering the hole.

All the time his mom just stood there, looking as the earth welcomed him.

Soon everyone but her left to do something else, they seemed to want focus on the task they had at hand, setting up camp.

(Three tents to be exact.)

I moved closer to his grave and wiped my tears.

"Earlier you said that you loved him, and when you did i felt relived somehow," she started

"I thought -at least he found love- and tried to dismiss it like a ninja's supposed to..."

She put her hands to her face and to wipe away her tears.

"I'm sorry," I cut in. "It's my fault and I-"

"It's not your fault," she said softly.

"Dylan, used to spend most of his time studying the ways of our clan and when I asked him why he engrossed himself in the arts so much he always said the same thing."

(So his name was Dylan...)

She looked at me and smiled faintly,"-to protect those dear me- he'd say."

"Do you know why you're here?" She asked.

I shook my head in response.

She looked me over and then... "I'm Vehretta of the Suimono clan, my clan used to serve yours in the past."

My clan?

I have a clan?

"Clan?" I asked.

"Yes," she answered and then "Who would've thought he'd fall for someone from the Hiragi clan."

She bit her lip in an attempt to hold back her tears.

Then after a while,"could you give me a minute?"

She stepped forward and stretched her hand out, her palm facedown over the spot where the earth was disturbed and soon after grass and lilies started popping out all over until the area was covered with a bed of lush green grass and flowers.

The sight of nature coming to life was no longer amazing, now all it did was remind me why we were here.

Why... I am here and he's not. The thought made me nauseous.