Chapter 54

Luca

It had been days since I got a good night's sleep and it was starting to wear on me. At first, I was haunted by my nightmares, but at least those had gone away. It was hard to have nightmares when you weren't sleeping. It had been days since Charlotte was here, and her scent was starting to fade from my bed. Every time I rolled over and it got fainter and fainter, the pain was excruciating. Like a razor blade gliding over my skin-- you couldn't feel the slice at first but when the cool air hit it, the sting hit you right in the heart. 

She still hadn't called. Elena let me know she was safe, and working through some of this on her own. But I wanted to be the one to help her work through it. I wanted to prove to her that I would be right there with her. That just because of who her family was, it didn't change her. I wanted to prove to her how much I loved her and was willing to give up for her.

I had to admit that when I told her I would leave for her, I had expected her to come back immediately. It was a manipulation tactic, and it wasn't fair of me. I knew I'd never able to leave entirely, yet I told her what she wanted to hear so I could get her back. Except it backfired and she didn't come back and I felt even more shitty for trying it.  

She was deceived and lied to by the people her entire life who she should have been able to trust the most, and I only added to that. It wasn't fair, and I wished like hell I could change it.

Antonio, Seth, and Gabe stuck around, much to my dismay. I loved seeing Gabe and Seth but I wasn't exactly in the most friendly mood. And every time I saw Antonio, I fought every natural urge in my body to rip him limb to limb. I could take responsibility for my part in this, but he was ultimately to blame. The blow wouldn't have been so blindsiding if I had been able to tell Charlotte on my own. If I had come clean and took responsibility straight to her. Instead, he stole that from me, and dragged me down into the mud right along side of him. 

Elena wanted to bring Charlotte to the house and let Antonio tell her his side of things. The only issue was that she had to get Charlotte to agree to that. So far, she wasn't.

I couldn't just mope round like this anymore waiting for something that may or may not happen. I needed to see her. I needed to explain things to her and try to make this all makes sense. If I just showed up there, there was no way she would refuse to see me, right?

I showered and got dressed quickly. If I sped, I could make it to Elena's in about two hours. Just enough time to take Charlotte to lunch. I shot Angelo a text, but I didn't really want anyone else to know what I was doing. I knew it was stupid, and everything I've ever known was telling me I shouldn't chase after a girl like this. None of that mattered to me anymore though. None of this mattered without Charlotte.

I remembered the way pretty easily, and got to Elena's in good time. I rehearsed my speech the entire drive, but the second I pulled into the driveway, it all vanished. Feeling out of control, at the mercy of another person--it was all new to me. I loved her more than I ever thought possible, and now I was facing a future without her. My life hung in the balance of what Charlotte would say to me.

My feet were so heavy that it was like walking through cement on my way up to the door. I almost chickened out, but I never would be able to live with myself if I let her go without a fight. Once my knuckles rapped on the front door, there was no turning back.

I heard footsteps on the other side and my heart nearly stopped. Elena opened the door quickly and let out a huge sigh when she saw it was me. Her expression was a mix of pity and frustration.

"Luca," she smiled softly.

"Hi." I started, desperately searching for the right words. If I couldn't even talk to her, how was I supposed to get my point across to Charlotte? "I just, uh, I'm sorry to drop by like this. But I was worried and she's not answering me and I just want to talk to her. I need to see her and tell her my side of things."

"Slow down, honey. Come on in. I know exactly why you're here. Just surprised to see you I guess." Elena ushered me inside, interrupting my rambling. 

I could hear the pounding of my heart inside of my ears. Just knowing I was in the same house as her was rattling me to my core. She disarmed me in a way I'd never experienced, and I wasn't sure how to feel about it. 

"How are you holding up?" Elena gently rubbed my back, and it shocked the both of us when I didn't shy away from her comfort. 

"Fine." I shrugged. "I don't know. I just... I never should have let Antonio talk to her. I should have..."

Elena held a finger up to me to quiet me. "This is not your fault. You got tangled up in the mess that Antonio made years ago and I know you've done your best to shield her from it."

I welcomed her faith in me; I didn't have much left myself.

"How is she?" I asked, chewing the inside of my cheek. 

Elena let out a heavy sigh. "She's angry, Luca. In a lot of ways. And she's scared. This is a lot for her, and I think we can't expect too much from her right now." 

"I know." I nodded. "I just can't stand that she only has that bastard's side of things." 

"It's more than that, though, Luca." Elena glanced away. "She's..."

"What?" I begged her to tell me what was happening inside Charlotte's mind. I had never felt his level of desperation. 

"She's in the back yard." Elena said, giving me a sympathetic smile and disappeared into the kitchen. "Good luck." 

That wasn't what she was originally going to say, but it was all I was going to get. 

Being around Elena made me miss my own mother. If Charlotte still wanted to be with me, we would plan a trip to see her in Italy immediately. My mother would love Charlotte, she would love it even more that she was melting this stone cold heart of mine. 

The sight of Charlotte sitting on the back deck took my breath away. She had her back to me and long curls drapes down her shoulders. When the soft ocean breeze would blow a piece of it, she would neatly tuck it behind her ear. I felt like I could stare at her all day, lost in her beauty and wondering what she was thinking as she stared out at the ocean. Selfishly, I hoped she was thinking about me.

Elena cleared her throat from behind me, urging me forward. I couldn't avoid it anymore, it was time to talk to her.

I opened the sliding door and stepped out onto the deck.

"Maybe we should go into town for lunch. I left all of my stuff in New York and I'm going to need clothes soon." Her back was still turned to me, probably thinking I was her mother.

"Or you could just come home." I replied.

She craned her neck around at the sound of my voice. Completely startled, she stood up quickly and took a few steps back. Was she scared of me? 

Our eyes locked on each other, stealing every bit of air in my lungs. She was so beautiful. Those deep, smooth-coffee eyes sparkling in the sunshine. Rosy red lips pressed tightly together. Dark brown curls framing her sweet face. I couldn't look away, drawn to warmness and peace. She was tired, but somehow refreshed. Her bruises were healing, and she looked so much more like herself than the last time I saw her.  After only a few days apart, it was like I was seeing her for the first time all over again.

We stood deadlocked, neither one of us wanting to make the first move. 

"Luca..." she whispered breathlessly, her expression unreadable. Her voice always was husky like this when she was tired--especially after we made love--and I nearly came apart right there.

I smiled, shoving my hands into the pockets of my jeans. "Hey baby."

___________

1. Do you agree with Luca just showing up or should he have given Char time to come to him? 

2. Favorite dessert?