Chapter 35

Luca

The next morning I left before seeing Charlotte. Our night ended on such a sour note that I wasn't even sure what to say to her. When I went to bed, I halfway expected her to sneak into my room in the middle of the night and apologize, and it almost made me angrier when she didn't. She obviously wasn't backing down, and neither was I. The way she jumped to his defense rubbed me in all the wrong ways, and my jealous, possessive side reared its ugly head. It felt like she was siding with him, and even though I logically knew that wasn't the case, it was just enough to piss me off. 

The guy was blatantly using her and nearly had her arrested, not to mention he was a lying cheat the entire time they were together. What would it take for her to see his true colors? 

A part of me could sympathize with her. She was right--in normal circumstances, Grant didn't deserve to die. But nothing about this was normal, and I wasn't going to let him continue to get away with his bullshit. As much as my revenge was driven by the need to defend her, it was bigger than that. He was putting my livelihood at risk. Everything I worked so damn hard for. In the right circumstance, he had the power to take it all away and I couldn't stand for that. Someday she would see it my way, and until she did, we didn't have to discuss it any more. 

She was planning to meet Jenni at the health club for a yoga class today, and I had plans of my own. Originally, I wanted to let things die down before approaching Grant, but after finding out he gave Charlotte that list of names, my timeline was expedited. I wasn't concerned, though. By  the time I was through with him, talking about what happened today would be the last thing on his mind. He's been asking for this for months, and I was happy to oblige. 

Many people have a misconception about the Mafia. They think we respond to everything with knee jerk violence. Hit first, ask questions later. Dead men tell no tales. Shoot to kill. And I'll admit, a part of wanted to handle this situation with Grant exactly that way. I wanted him dead and gone. Out of my hair and away from Charlotte for good. But I was arrogant, not stupid. If Grant Fallon turned up dead, or even missing, I would be at the top of the suspect list after my performance at the station yesterday. I had to handle this more tactfully than usual, but unluckily for Grant, I was up the challenge.

Sometimes a little psychological warfare was as good as a tire iron to the knee caps. Or at least a combination of the two. Grant knew nothing about real warfare, and he showed us his hand far too soon. He had a weakness, and it happened to be the woman I was fucking. He opened that door for us, but I was happy to close it. 

No, today wouldn't be the day Grant Fallon died. Although it would be coming soon, and when it did, I wouldn't hesitate. 

As soon as I threw open the door to the warehouse, adrenaline started pumping through my veins like a raging river. Seeing Grant tied to a chair in the middle of the room, weak and fearful, struck something in me that was idle for awhile. I craved the sound of flesh hitting flesh and the shattering of jaws. The feeling of bones crushing at my fists. Whens someone was deserving, I thrived on the violence, and I was back in my element.

"Good morning, Grant." I shot him an evil smirk, sauntering toward him. Angelo and Carlo were both already here, standing behind him and nearly salivating in anticipation. They wanted this as long as I had.

"You really have lost your mind." Grant started to chuckle arrogantly. "Kidnapping a Federal Agent? That's major prison time Catalano."

How naive he was. This was what happened when a little fish tried to jump into a tank with the sharks. We had back ups upon back ups and he had no idea what was about to hit him. Both literally and figuratively.

Angelo landed the fist blow. It took Grant by surprise and sent blood spurting across the whole room. The sound of cracking teeth filled the air. Thank God they had had the foresight to put a tarp down in here.