Chapter 53

Charlotte

I slept for seventeen hours straight. When I woke up, the fog was gone and so was the pounding in my head. There was still a heaviness in my chest, but I wasn't sure that would ever go away. 

My mom's voice floated up from downstairs; she was on the phone with someone.

Sucking in a sharp breath, I pulled myself out of bed and headed into the bathroom. I couldn't avoid this forever, especially if I wanted answers. I'd talk to my mom, and once I was ready, I would talk to Luca. I didn't know what I was going to say, or how things were going to turn out for us, but it had to be done.

Hopping into the shower, I let the scalding hot water pound on my back and burn my skin. It felt good. Like I was cleansing the last few weeks off of me. The explosion. The boat crash. The lies. I stayed in there until the water went cold, which felt like hours. I felt safe in here. Like the second I walked out of this bathroom, I'd have to face reality again. I was ready to face it, but I was lining to these last few seconds of clarity and peace.

I got out and dried off, sifting through my clothes until I found a pair of jeans and t-shirt. Once I was ready, I went downstairs. My mom was standing in the kitchen with her back to me, staring out the window as she spoke.

"I don't know." She shook her head. "I haven't talked to her yet and I think it's probably best if you..."

I cleared my throat to get her attention and she looked up at me, startled. Her eyes darkened with sympathy when she saw me. Clinging to my anger, I tried to compose myself, not wanting to break down again. I didn't want her sympathy; right now, all I wanted were answers.

"I'll talk to you later." My mom said flatly, setting her phone down on the counter.

"Hi sweetheart." Her eyes filled with tears. She stood back timidly as if she was worried to approach me.  "Come sit down. You must be exhausted."

As I walked to the table, my feet felt like they were moving through cement. I sat down in the chair opposite her, taking a deep breath. "Where are dad and Noah?"

"They went camping. I thought it might be good for us to have a little time alone."  She looked back at me on the verge of tears, reading my expression carefully.

"Who were you talking to?" I asked, as she poured us both a cup of coffee.

"Luca called me." I stiffened at the mention of his name but resolved myself not to burst into tears. "He's worried about you, sweetie."

I clicked my tongue. I gathered as much from his phone calls, but he could sweat it out a little bit. He kept this secret from me knowing full well the pain it would cause when I finally found out. And he wasn't even the one to tell me.

"I don't care about that right now." I said. "How long have you guys been working together? Did you plan for him to come into my gallery?"

"Charlotte, you've got this all wrong. Of course I didn't. I..."

"You knew this entire time. How could you look at me and lie to me like that? Tell me that my brothers were dead? That I would never see them again? How could you let me hurt like I did? My whole life is a lie." I hissed, spewing venom towards her. She took all of my anger, knowing she deserved it, and still looked back at me with softness in her eyes.

"Char, I would love to explain to you what happened, but it sounds like you don't want to hear anything I have to say." She sighed, taking a sip form her coffee cup.

"I want to hear why."

"I won't apologize for keeping the truth from you, Charlotte. I did what I thought was best for you, and as your mother, I got to make those decisions. I didn't have a choice but to leave. I was forced out." She started.