Chapter 26

Charlotte

Luca was anything but quiet when he got home. The force of him slamming the front door nearly shook the walls, and his heavy footsteps painted a clear path as he moved about the house. First into the kitchen where he opened and then hastily shut a few cabinets, tossed some kind of dish into the sink with a clanking sound and then down the hall and to the stairs where he stomped up them like he was squashing spiders. Each thud got louder and louder as he got to the top. He wasn't alone, and I could hear the muffled voices of both Marco and Angelo. I couldn't make out the words, but their hushed tones and the urgency in their voices made me think something went wrong.

Luca threw the bedroom door open and it startled me, but I kept my eyes closed pretending to be asleep. For a few seconds, he paused at the door and let out a heavy sigh, as if to compose himself. Moving slowly and quietly now, he came to the side of this bed and I could feel his eyes burning into me, traveling along the curves of my body like an old country road. When he didn't move, I peaked my eyes open just enough to see his silhouette above me. His breathing was shallow and I could just make out the way he bit his lip, so hard that it must have been drawing blood. Was he trying to hold back tears? 

He cleared his throat and turned suddenly, disappearing into the bathroom. As soon as the door was shut behind him, I heard the shower turn on. For a few seconds, I debated whether or not I should join him. Something had gone wrong, and he was bound to be in a bad mood, but maybe  I could help. Maybe I could take his mind off of it, ease his worries, and help him process through. He was used to dealing with things alone, but it didn't have to be that way. Not with me. 

I threw the covers off of my body and made my way into the bathroom. I opened the door just enough that I could see every bit of his naked body. A rush of heat hit me, and it wasn't just from the steam of the shower. 

Luca was an absolute dreamboat.Scalding water cascaded over his swollen muscles, the deep tan of his skin turning red with the heat. With his eyes closed, he tilted his head back and ran his fingers through his tousled hair, and letting the water pound against his brawny shoulders. My gaze lingered on his toned chest, each muscle defined and chilled in perfection. Following the trail of water droplets, my eyes fell lower, onto his washboard abs and tracing the lines until they formed a v just above his hips. A burning ache filled my body, consuming every bit of me as I drank in the perfection that was standing in front of me. My heartbeat hitched when I caught sight of just how well endowed he was, imagining that growing erection inside of me again, filling me up and leaving me breathless. It wasn't the first time I was seeing him naked, but there was something more intentional about it tonight. We weren't just two people lusting for each other anymore. We were entangled in each other's lives, falling for each other and connected on a deeper level than we had been before. 

"Are you going to stand there staring all night?" Luca glanced up at me and shooting me a smirk that made me want to crawl into a hole with embarrassment. "You can join me if you want.

He didn't need to ask twice. I had myself so hot and bothered that I would have begged if he didn't ask. 

The water was warmer than I expected, but after a few seconds, I got used to it. Luca leaned forward, resting his head against mine and putting his hand to the beck of my neck. "Why are you awake?"

Because you came home like a damn marching band, I wanted to say. 

"I couldn't sleep, you're home late." I said instead.

"It's 5 in the morning Charlotte, some might call that early."

Luca put his hand to my cheek and I set mine on top of his, feeling the roughness of the skin. Was it scraped? Was that blood? Was he injured somewhere else? I had a sinking feeling the point of the shower had been to hide it from me.