Chapter 41

Charlotte
Sometimes I crave alone time. As much as I thrived on connection and being around others, there was nothing like giving yourself a little time. Time to process and grieve and feel all of the emotions running ramped in my mind. To cry and let go of all that pent up energy I was harboring. Regroup and reevaluate.

Luca left for Miami three days ago, and since he was gone, I had time to do just that. Over the weeks before the explosion, I was lulled into a false sense of security. I thought I was safe. I thought the Mafia was the least of my worries, and that they pretty much had forgotten all about me, and then a literal bomb went off in my world and everything changed.

The mafia didn't forget, and they most certainly didn't leave any loose ends. I was going to have to deal with this forever, and if I left Luca, chances are it would be even worse. Loving him was a dangerous game of chess, though, and I could slowly feel parts of myself slipping away the longer it went on. I was in a battle between the two pieces of my soul—one that was completely in love with Luca and the other that craved my normal and boring life back. There was no meshing of the two, and I had to face that. This was the way things would be if I stayed with Luca. Was I strong enough for that? Was our love enough?

In a fairy-tale world, it was. None of the noise and bullshit mattered as long as we loved each other enough. And in the latest hours of the night, just before the sun came up, I could convince myself of that. But just when I thought I was sure, reality set in like a wrecking ball. Sometimes it's not enough, and sometimes walking away is the answer.

I almost decided not to come at all, but then something my mom used to say to me rang in my ears. She used to tell me that you knew how you truly felt about a person in the middle of the night. When you were by yourself and in the dark and there was no one else around. Did you miss them? Crave the sound of their voice? Need their touch? Did it almost hurt how bad you wanted to be with them? If that was the case, that was all you needed to know. A life without Luca was harder to accept than what his life brought. At least when I was with him, the danger was tangible. If I let it go, the emotions and the pain were all in my head—and sometimes that was the scariest place to be.

So this time, love prevailed. I decided it was enough and that my future was with Luca, however that may look. I got on the plane with a new attitude, ready to play the part of dutiful girlfriend to him this weekend. Part of me was exhilarated. There were only a handful of times that I got to see Luca in his element and doing what he loved, and most of those times we were in danger. This weekend would be different and I was looking forward to seeing him in action. This was a celebration, and he was the star of the show. And I was the one who got to go home with him.

"Miss?" A flight attendant patted my arm. "I just wanted to let you know we're about to make our landing. Is there anything else I can get you?"

"No, thank you." I smiled politely. Luca sent a private jet for the two of us, and while Reggie snored next to me, I enjoyed a glass of champagne. This world was so very different than mine, and sometimes I had to pinch myself to realize it was even real.

Reggie stirred, waking up for the first time practically the entire flight. Some body guard he was. He was attached to my hip the last few days while Luca was out of town. After the last incident, I was sure he'd been threatened within an inch of his life to stay with me. He wasn't Luca's first choice, but Marco and Carlo and Angelo were all needed for preparations.

The landing was a little bumpy, pulling my flannel over my shoulders. It looked dark and gloomy outside as I glanced out the window. Wasn't Florida supposed to be warm?

"Char, ready?" Reggie asked nudging my shoulder.

We got out onto a private runway and Reggie collected our bags and then ushered me into the building. I was surprised to see Marco and Angelo waiting for us, instead of Luca as he promised. I understood, but it was another stinging reminder of the fact that the Mafia would always come first. Another thing I needed to learn to live with.