Chapter 51

Luca (Dream)

The metallic smell of blood filled the air so much that it was almost suffocating. The sharp and rotting bricks of the cell dug into my back. I kept thinking the harder I pressed myself into the wall, the more I could disappear. It was somewhat working; everyone else in the room seemed to have forgotten my presence.

The girl on the ground in front of me was nearly lifeless. Bloodied, bruised, and naked. For the last three hours, my father made me watch as he did unimaginable things to her and now she was so weak that I was literally watching the life drain out of her.

Mila was younger than I was; I recognized her from school, and a small glint in her eyes told me she recognized me, too. She had no idea why she was here. No idea about her father's crimes against us. Hell, I doubt she even knew he was involved in crime.

In reality, her father was one of my dad's closest confidants. My father shared all kinds of secrets with him, only to have him run to a rival family and spill them all. Mila was payment for that. I begged my dad not to involve her in it. She was just a child and had nothing to do with her father. But he determined this was the only way to make him pay. And because my father thought I was developing a soft spot when I pleaded for her life, he made me watch as he took it from her.

There were four of us in the cell. Me, my father, Mila, and my father's right-hand man, Zeke. Everything stopped momentarily when Mila stopped fighting back. My father thrived on her struggle, and when she was too weak to give it to him, he stopped. I knew him though; he would only stop long enough for her to regain some strength, and then start all over again. It was one of his most ruthless torture tactics.

My father looked towards me with an evil look in his eye. It was paralyzingly, especially after just watching him beat this girl senseless. I had seen him do this a thousand times before, but never on a woman and never someone completely innocent. Why was I such a coward? Why hadn't I fucking stopped him? She looked to me for help and I just stood here idly by, for what? Because I was scared of my own damn father? I didn't deserve to lead this family and after today I wasn't sure I wanted to.

"Luca," his grin was daunting. "Come over here."

My legs wouldn't move. My body was betraying me, perhaps it knew what was going to happen next. My dad's jaw tightened when I didn't do as he asked and he trudged toward me, taking the back of my neck in his grasp. His bloody fingers dug into my skin as he drug me right in front of Mila.

"Do you know why I did this?" He hissed, his hot scotch filled breath sent chills down my spine.

I stared down at her, completely speechless. There was no reason for this, no excuse. I gritted my teeth to keep myself from saying that to him.

When I didn't respond, his grip on my neck tightened painfully. "Answer me, boy."

I knew the words he wanted to hear and wanted this to be over as soon as possible. "Because you had to." I mumbled.

"Right." He smirked ruefully. "I did this for the good of the family, son. And someday, you will too."

Hot tears stung at my eyes. I would never be like him; I would never do this. But was I any better? I just stood by and let this happen. I was just as disgusting as he was.

"And I think it's about time you start picking up some slack around here." He took a set of brass knuckles off of his own hand and thrust it into mine. "Finish her."

My stomach nearly dropped. Not only was he making me watch, but now he expected me to participate? No fucking way. I would never treat a woman like this. I would never kill an innocent person like Mila. And if that meant I could never be a Don, then so be it.