X

The golden brown and green leaves crunched beneath Rana's feet.

"Sidra?" She called out the name for the hundredth time, her arm brushing past the leaves of a pine tree.

She had left the rest of the kids with Tanha, doubtful whether her decision was right, but she couldn't trust her klutz of a colleague to not get lost in these woods herself.

So she reluctantly went on the quest to find the lost little girl hours ago, having not found her yet.

Rana could see beyond the herd of leaves above her that the sky had tinted with rose and orange.
She wasn't sure what time it was or what part of the woods she was in. Going back didn't really seem like an option, so she might as well keep looking.

"Sidra?" Rana called again.

It was going to be dark soon.
She wandered whether Tanha had kept the others safe, whether she'll manage to get them back safely.

Suddenly, Rana heard a squeak.
Her head flashed around, watching her vicinities carefully.
Another sound whispered through.

This one sounded like a sniffle.

"Hello? Sidra?" Rana fearfully questioned.

The sound of leaves and twigs breaking burst through, and then out of the shadows of a long pine tree, came out the small figure of Sidra.

Her eyes red and teary, snot running out of her nose and hands shaking against her navy blue pencil skirt.

"Miss Rana?" She squeaked out, scared.

"Oh, Sidra. Thank Allah. You got us all worried." Rana took quick step towards her and embraced her into a tight hug.
The little girl broke into instant fearful sobs against her teacher's chest.

"It's okay, it's okay." She comfortably whispered.

"I want my ammi and baba." Sidra whimpered.

"Of course. You'll be with them very soon, come on."
Rana brought the girl to her feet, wiping away her tears and the snot with a tissue from her pocket.
"Let's go."

She didn't know these woods well enough, but she was determined to get out of here with this girl in one piece.

The sky had gotten much darker in very little time, trees looked very much like black shadows, making Rana control the shivers that wanted to run free for the girl beside her.
If she showed her fears, Sidra won't be able to keep together either.

Whoosh.

The unexpected noise made both student and teacher jump in fear.
Sidra pressed herself closer to Rana.

"Miss, are there monsters here?"

"No, of course not. Monsters don't exist." She reassured her.

Whoosh.

The noise came again. This much closer and clear to their attentive ears.
Rana's heart began to slam in her ribcage, the fear of the unknown seeping through her mind.

"Rana?" A voice called out.

Out the shadows, a light shined from a flashlight, held by the muscular creamy hands of a man.

"Jiaz?"

👄

If you are enjoying this book, then I have published another book based on a drama. It is called 'The Elder Son', hope you can check it out.

This chapter is dedicated to Reid-I-Gul for being ever so kind, thank you.

Leave comments.

X