XI

"Here you go." Jiaz handed Rana a lukewarm cup of chai.

She sipped it out of politeness, even though it didn't taste nice and there was too much sugar in it.

Tanha had long left with the rest of the kids, she went to school and informed Jiaz of the fact that her colleague was in the woods with a missing student.

Leaving the deputy head in charge, he instantly rushed here with a squad of police officers in tow.
And even though he was told to stay in the safety of the main road, the headmaster dived into the shadowed woods, searching for his employee and student.

Sidra was now wrapped in a maroon shawl, sitting at the back of a police van, her parents on the way.

"Come on, I better drop you home." Headmaster Afzal said.

"Oh, no. It's OK. I can go by myself." Rana shook her head.

"Rana, don't be stupid. It's way to dark for you to be outside. I've got my car, I'll drop you. Besides, I don't think I can handle Sidra's angry parents just yet." With the last words, he looked behind him, as if to check it they had arrived.

"I don't want to trouble you-"

"You won't." He cut her off. "Let's go."

They walked towards the black hybrid beside the two vans, Rana bidding Sidra goodbye with a kiss on the cheek, and stepped inside.

Jiaz switched on the heater and radio.

'Amar bithor bahir ontore ontore, acho tumi hrydoe jure...'*

Although Rana cannot understand the lyrics, something about song cleansed her tension.

Until a sudden thought popped in her mind.

"Am I going to get fired?" She asks, not having the courage to turn face towards the headmaster.

"Well, no. I'm sure the board will give another chance." He said, giving her a sideways smile.

She sighed.

"I cannot say the same for Miss Inayat." He announced, his smile wiped away.

"Wh-what do you mean?"

Jiaz stayed quite for a few moments, concentrating on the road. Finally, he let out a sigh and explained.

"This is not of the first of Miss Inayat's accidents, she's had several warnings from the school board.
Understanding that she doesn't do these things on purpose, I have convinced them to let her keep her job many times. But I don't think I have enough charm to do that this time.
Especially since Sidra's father is one of the members of the board."

A wave pity washed over Rana for her fellow Tanha Inayat.

"I'm so sorry." She said quietly.

"Don't be, it isn't your fault. It was quite brave of you to go look for the girl."

He gave her one of his lazy smiles as he parked in front of the green gates of her house.
Rana noticed for the first time that evening how tired he looked, but not having the power to do anything about it, she simply bid him goodbye.

"And thank you for driving me home." She said.

"Friendship meh no sorry no thank you." Jiaz replied.

She opened the green gates, keeping a private smile.

👄

*Bengali song 'Valo Achi Valo Theko'
🎉
Hope you're all having a good half term, and I'll do my best to update more.

Any opinions on Jiaz?

X