XVI

The golden leaves under her feet crunched as she walked upon them.

They'd arrived at the lake side, one of Rana's favorite spots of the whole village, and the last place Adeel had taken her to before their separation.

Although she wasn't completely over the events of a few nights ago, she still agreed to come to this pic nic.

Not to mention, after the Tanha getting fired, a distraction would be welcome.

"Here should do." Adeel said, laying the pic nic cloth on a patch of grass.
Rana carefully then placed herself upon it, enjoying the view of the water fall.

Adeel placed all the food in front of them, then opened a pack of crisps and offered his wife some. They sat in silence for a while, flavors melting upon their tongues.

"So, how's work?" Adeel broke the silence, this was his attempt to make peace, and they wouldn't be getting anywhere without speaking.

"Well, my colleague Tanha was fired by the school board." Rana curtly replied. "What about you?"

"My secretary quit because of her upcoming marriage, her in-laws don't approve of her working." He said, anger resurfacing.

He hated people who thought women should be locked up inside the house with a strong passion, once he was like that himself and he felt so ashamed of it.

"Oh, that's very sad." His wife said.

Adeel diverted his attention back to her, and for a moment it almost felt like she was remembering the times he stopped Rana from achieving her dreams.
There was that look in her eyes she always had when he'd oppress her opinions, feeling that he was superior to her.

Truth to be told Adeel knew that he was never as strong as it showed, deep inside was buried that innocent young boy whose mum passed away before she could teach him how to respect women.
He was that insolent teenager spoilt with all the best things money could buy, but no mother figure.
He'd grown into a man full of power and ego, surrounded by women who didn't show him love of respect, but betrayal and greed for his money.

The constant shouting and mental abuse towards women in some ways made him feel so powerful, looking at their helplessness.
Until Rana arrived, that's when Adeel began to feel fear for the first time.

"Adeel?" Rana called for the hundredth time.

"Huh?" He came out of his trance.

"I think we should get going, it's getting late and we have work tomorrow."

"Yes, yes. Let's go." Adeel began to collect everything, placing inside his basket.

They made their way across the bridge, towards the car and drove home.

Just as they stepped inside their home, Adeel grabbed his wife's arm gently, making her turn back towards him.

"Gul-e-Rana" he said her name softly, almost like a prayer. "I love you."

Rana's eyes widened for a moment, her heart beat increasing ever so slightly. But the doubt and hurt lurked in her mind.
She slipped her wrist out of his grip and walked towards her room.

Adeel watched her go once more.

👄

Extremely late update, but please do consider I have a life outside of this.

A lot of you read my stories but never leave and comments or votes. Please do, it helps me as a writer to understand my readers.

Thank you