XV

Rana stood sat in the polyster chair, her hands fidgeting constantly.

It had been at least an hour since her interview.

She wondered what was going on the other side of the office door, where 10 members of the board of govenors sat, deciding the fate of her's and Tanha Inayat's career.

The events that unfolded during the school trip was a major issue, that could possibly damage Principal Afzal's career, who was sat amongst the governors inside.

Rana left the house without having seen Adeel, still holding her anger, but also to preoccupied of the meeting to take place. So she arrived here via bus, making sure to tell Gulab Khan to inform his employer.

The door of the office clicked open.

Jiaz stepped out, worry clear in his eyes.

"How is it going?" Rana asked, afraid of the answer.

Jiaz let out a sigh. "Well, the governors are probably going to pardon you, considering you went to find Sidra, not to mention her uncle is one of the members."

A wave of relief went through Rana's body.

"But I cannot say the same for Miss Inayat." Jiaz added.

He stepped a few paces forward in his black branded trousers, and lowered himself to the seat next to Rana. One of his free hands pushed back the spewing jet black threads upon his forehead, before pressing the back of his head against the wall.

Jiaz silently sat with his eyes closed.

Rana watched him ever so carefully, noticing the marks of exhaustion on her boss, similar to the ones on her husband's face the previous morning. She saw the way his dark eyelashes draped over his high cheekbones, his sharp jawline and the light stuble over it.

"You see, this isn't the first of many incidents." Jiaz said with his eyes his shut, bringing Rana out of her daze. "Miss Inayat has faced the governors several times for her, well, irresponsabilities. I managed to always get her out of trouble, making excuses and false promises, but this was the last straw. I can't do anymore for her. The governors won't turn a blind eye."

Sorrow took over Rana, as she imagined her colleague beign fired. Although Tanha had been mainly responsible for the accident at the trip, she did mean well, and she did try her best.

But that probably wasn't enough for the governors.

It only fuelled their anger further when Tanha had failed to show up for the interview.

"Why?" Rana asked suddenly.

Jiaz peeked at her from one eye. "Why what?"

"Why did you always try to save her, when she was putting your career in danger too?"

The prinicipal thought about this for a moment. He got his head back up, shoulders sagging slightly, it was rather unusual for such a composed man to unravel like this.

"Tanha and I grew up in the same town, we were practically neighbours. Our parents had once even tried to get us married, and although I saw her as a lovely person, we just weren't meant to be. Due to her, well quirkiness let's say, she never managed to find a good job, even with her grades, so I let her work a the school. I always saw her like a sister, and even with all her flaws, I saw that she meant well." He explained.

As Rana tried to comment, the door opened.

"Mr Afzal and Mrs Ahmed, we're ready for you."

  👄  

Are there any characters you'd like to see from the original drama?

Let me know.