IX

Mawra Hocane as Tanha Inayat

  👄  

"Ah, Rana. Just the person I was looking for." Principal Afzal announced delightedly.

Rana's heart began to race like a thousand horses running free across a desert, there was something about this man always threw her into panic. Ever since that first meeting, she couldn't quite adjust to him.

"I need you to take the Year 1 group on their trip, as a replacement to Mr Sheikh, he is ill and wouldn't be able to come." Principal Afzal said. "I'm very sorry as it's last minute, but you're the only one I can ask right now."

"But, Principal Afzal, how can I manage a whole year by myself?" Rana hesitantly questioned.

"Oh, how many times," he exclaimed in fake exsasperation. "How many times did I tell you to call me Jiaz?"

"Umm, sorry Prin- I mean Jiaz." she stuttered.

"That's fine. And don't worry, you wouldn't be on your own. Miss Tanha Inayat will be going with you. Ah, there she is." 

Rana turned to look at a tall, skinny woman. She wore her multi colour salwar slightly above her ankles, her grey top was crumpled on the sides and with stains on the chest and the glasses upon her brown eyes were lopsided.

She felt rather unsure  if this awkward figure stumbling through the corridor was the kind of person to take care of a bunch hyped little Year Ones.

*

Turns out, she wasn't.

Whilst waking up the stony hill, Tanha had managed to trip and push two kids in front of her to ground along side herself. Rana watched them like domino pieces falling one by one.

The next half an hour was spent with Rana trying to comfort the two little boys, and stop them from crying. 

The job wasn't easy, as there were another herd of kids moaning about having to stand up for so long.

By the time they reached the spot, all the kids were completely exhausted from the excessive walking and had resoluted to either laying down upon the grass or eating their lunch. But all of them made sure to keep far from Tanha, who tried several times to win over the sympathy of the two boys she'd injured, sadly at no avail.

Rana sat on a spot of grass, making sure she had a full view of all the kids. Tanha trudged beside her, having been ye again rejected by the sniffling two boys.

"I didn't do it on purpouse, I just got distracted and then next thing I know, I lose balance over my legs. Oh, I wish the kids would just get that." Tanha sadly said.

"Don't worry. They just got a bit of a scare. It'll be fine." Rana comforted her.

"Ugh, it would have been better if it were Year sixes that had come. There wouldn't have been any problems." The klutzy teacher said, pushing back her glasses from her nose.

I doubt that, Rana thought to herself but did not dare say out loud.

"Here." she said instead, kindly. "How about you do the register?"

Tanha grabbed the register upon the clip board, quite happily, and took a pen. The pen fell from her hand a few times before she'd finally began to take call out the children's names.

"Sidra?" she called out the 16th name.

No response.

"Sidra?" Miss Inayat called again.

No response.

She turned towards her colleague. "Rana, where's Sidra?"

Uh-oh.

  👄    

To be continued...

What do you think about the new cover? And do you like the new additions (Jiaz and Tanha)?