VIII

The car cruises through the cold and empty streets.

Rana had her bag on her lap, and although she'd been teaching at Al-Noor Academy for a week, she was still nervous. She had received no feedback and had no idea whether she was doing enough, but at least the kids seemed to like her.

"At what time will you be finished?" Adeel asked, taking a right turn.

"Well, I have some marking that I'll like to finish at school, so maybe around 5 o'clock." Rana replied.

"Oh, well, a friend of mine had sent an invitation to a party." Adeel informed her rather hesitantly.

Adeel had given up drinking, even though he had the occasional smoke, but distancing himself from his social group hadn't been easy.
For one some were close bussiness partners or customers, others just clung onto him, mostly women, like magnets.
Not to mention from time to time, in Rana's absence, he got bored and needed entertainment.

Adeel understood that parties weren't his wife's scene and had no expectations of her coming.
And Rana understood that her husband could not completely let go of who he was, and needed his pass times.

"Well, I don't want to go." Rana said, carefully watching Adeel pursue his lips. "But you should go, since your friend was kind enough send an invite."

"But will you manage to stay by yourself?" He asked, concerned. "I mean, I'll be back by 11, but just in case you have problems."

"It's fine Adeel. I can manage myself, you just go and enjoy yourself."

"OK." They both said simultaneously, and neither could think of anything more to say.

Luckily enough, the journey ended shortly as Adeel parked his car at the front of Al-Noor Academy.
Rana swung her bag upon her shoulder and tightened the Afghan shawl she was wearing, ready to exit the car.

But before she got to hold the handle, Adeel placed a hand upon her shoulder.

She turned and looked at him.

He slowly removed his hand and took a nervous gulp, whatever he was about to say, wasn't going to be easy for him.

"Listen, Rana, I made a lot of mistakes. I never encouraged you to expand your education and career, and I can't do anything but say sorry. I'm glad you got this job, you deserve it. You'll make one amazing and kind teacher, and any pupil taught by you is lucky." Adeel let the words he'd trapped in him for a week finally spill.

Rana, on the other hand, seemed quite stunned.

At the beginning of this hell of a marriage, she'd would have done anything to hear those words. But it was her expectations that always came through.
Adeel had always been spiteful towards any ambition she had, and he had made sure that everyone began to think the same way, including Rana's mother and uncle.

Now, she didn't quite know what to say or do when her wish had finally come through.

"Umm, I should go. It's getting late." She stuttered finally, exiting the car in a nervous flash.

Adeel watched her petite figure walk away as his heart sunk.

👄

Please take a moment to appreciate that I updated whilst I have a cold and my throat hurts so much, that I can barely swallow food.

I know this story is getting quite boring, but don't worry, the entry of Jiaz is going to bring some changes soon.

Also, LEAVE COMMENTS, you have no idea how frustrating it is to not know what my readers think.

I need to your opinions.
Even if it is about the characters or a part you particularly like.

X