12. Lies

"So what's up with James?" Carter asked as I sat down at the couch. "I don't know, I thought he felt sick or something," I lied, trying to avoid a further conversation about him. "Really? He didn't seem sick earlier," Amanda said suspicious. "I don't know," I sighed and stepped over Carter's legs because he was leaning them on the coffee table. I sat down next to him and silently prayed they'd stop asking about it but of course being the curious and lousy sister she is Amanda thought I'd be fun to interrogate me about my day. 

"So what's your deal today? Why did you leave school?" "I didn't feel well." "Do you think I'm retarded? You're clearly not sick and neither is James! What did you guys do?" she yelled. "Why would I have something to do with him?" I shouted back. "Well I don't know, you tell me," she cussed, crossing her arms and leaning back in the chair. I opened my mouth to snap back but got interrupted by the door swinging open with a loud of noise.

My mom stormed in with anger dripping from her face. Oh god. I knew what was coming next. "Emma, why did I receive a phone call because you weren't at school today?" she screamed. "I was sick," I answered, using all my acting skills. "Don't lie to me! You don't look sick at all and if you were you should have went to the school nurse or call me!" 

She started yelling even loader now and I was speechless. "Mom, I-" "Don't try those stupid excuses with me! I don't care what your reason was but don't even ask me anything anymore, young lady! What's up with you lately? Don't you dare to try pulling off one more thing like this or you're grounded!" she screamed hysterically as if I missed 6 weeks of school instead of 6 hours.

I didn't know what to say anymore so I just nodded and stared at the ground. "No more computer for you this week," she added as she walked to the kitchen to prepare dinner. "Now help me with the groceries," she said and so I did, avoiding eye contact with my friends, who just witnessed my mothers speech.

After supper I went upstairs and checked my phone. I had several texts from Luke, asking me if I was alright. I ignored him because I wasn't alright at all and didn't want to talk about it. Instead I called James a few times but he didn't pick up. I kept trying to reach him even though I was tired as hell and after I while I just fell asleep.