Welcome to the Family (ch 17)

I throw my hands on my head and tug at the roots of my hair. This cannot be happening right now. I thought these hallucinations were over. Finnito. Gone.

Is the universe always trying to tell me I'm wrong? I wish I had the power to say that two can play that game, but unfortunately, I am only but a measly human. I will never reach the power of the infinite. No fair, I thought the saying goes pick on somebody your own size.

I groan and pull out of few strands of my hair one last time, letting out my inner frustration.

"Are you real now?" I ask James.

He doesn't answer.

I blink a few times, and James is gone, leaving Jesse in his place right in front of me. What just happened here? Is there something in the water over here? Do I need glasses or am I going psycho?

"Yes, I am real sweetheart. Or are you just trying to find excuses to touch me? Because if you are; I'm down with out." He replies trying to put my hands on his chest.

I snort. “Nice try at being cool Jesse, but you still need some practice.” I say while pulling my hands out of his grip and away from his body.

About the snorting thing, I just have something on my chest that I feel the need to clarify on. I know it's very unladylike, but I never told anybody I was a lady. In fact, I am just one of the millions of girls in the world.

There it is the cold truth. I know it hurts, but don't come and hug me for comfort, I will push you away and poke you in the eyeballs.

"So what did you try on for me?" Jesse asks, motioning for me to spin in a circle.

I spin, like those toy ballerinas with legs that are longer than my arms. I imagine myself lifting my leg in the air and doing one of those nifty pirouettes, internally snickering when I kick Jesse ‘accidentally’ in my head.

Suddenly, Jesse is on the ground, clutching his... um, stuff. I look at him perplexed, I thought my imagination had good facial expressions, but the real stuff is so much better! But...

How did that actually happen? I know for a fact that I, Jessica, would not in a million years, ever be capable of lifting my leg like that, so then how did it happen? How did my crazy thoughts become reality?

Maybe you unleashed super powers when you killed Henry...

Don't even joke about that. What happened with Henry wasn't funny and I should never joke about it, I took somebody's life acting as if I was God. I'm not.

Jesse must have noticed the change in the air because he starts moving around the room, turning on music, and opening windows. A little breeze makes its way into the room and a shiver runs up my spine.

I'm Just A Kid.

Oh gosh, I haven’t heard this song in a while. When I was smaller, James and I used to come home from school and every day, we would lie down on the floor of his bedroom and listen to this song. It was like our twin ritual, we were the only ones that knew about it. It was our little secret. I smile faintly at the thought. Maybe one day we can be kids again.

“So is that all that I stole for you, or have you decided to become a model? I would say good for you,  but you don’t exactly have the face for the job. At least you're finally quiet” Jesse says, laughing at his insult.

I look at him bored. “Wow, you’re so funny Jesse. Why don’t you go sign up to be on Jimmy Kimble’s talk show? I’m sure you would fit in there; useless talent. No offence to Jimmy or anything, I was just aiming to insult you.”