Hey Brother (ch 19)

I have decided to dedicate my chapter to Lexie_Wolf. That's all for now, enjoy.

-R

Jesse's POV

I watched the two as they stared at each other, confused and... Relieved. They stood there silently memorizing each other as if they knew their time would be limited. I felt like I was intruding on a sacred moment, no matter how bizarre that sounded.

It was mind consuming as I sat on the uncomfortable chairs in the hospital. There was still no news on Jessica, she was in surgery. Apparently the bullet hit a vein and there was a lot of blood lost on the way to the hospital.

Still, the events of earlier tonight did not leave my head.

I was silent during the whole reunion between the Serpentes and the Mandes, observing as each surprise came one after the other like a storm. Overall, it was like watching an action movie.

After seeing the blood come out of the door, I knew it had to be the work of James, only he would leave the scene so messy and filled with evidence. It was like he wanted to be found. Like he needed to be found. I think that he's just too stupid to do something right the first time, but that's just a matter of opinion.

As I look around the waiting room, I feel a dark cloud on top of my head. I am alone, surrounded by empty chairs, nothing living in sight.

I would have brought the siblings with me, but Rosalie and Landon left with the car after we drove to the hospital, making up some excuse around the lines of "I left the pizza in the oven."

I let out a sigh, exasperated. How much longer will I have to wait before I can get even an ounce of information out of the doctors?

 I contemplate on whether I should go ask the nurses one more time, but after the last time, I'd rather not. Let's just say I bedpan was involved and i had to hold an ice pack on my stuff for an hour while curious old ladies tried to talk to me. 

My eyes find the clock hanging on the wall to my right, watching as the seconds tick by and time becomes part of the past.

I feel angry as I wait for news on Jessica, my patience hanging on a thread. I understand the fact that I may or may not be overreacting, it's just a shot to the shoulder, but there are parts of Jessica's past that  have made her physically weaker. I gunshot to the shoulder could be fatal if not handled immediately.

"Sir, are you here for Jessica Mandes?" A voice asks, making me snap out of my thoughts and lift my head.

I nod in confirmation, somehow unable to let out any words as I wait for the news. "She's going to be okay. Surgery went well, and you can see her in a few minutes after the nurses have finished getting everything ready."

"Thank you." I reply.

The doctor nods and turns away, walking to another room across the hall. I lift myself from the uncomfortable chair and straighten my jacket. My eyes are transfixed on the door where my innocent little Jessica is hiding behind.

Oh how I just wish she would finally remember.

------------

My eyes meet those of the one who just opened the door, unable to look away. I soon forget about the middle-aged nurse hooking up the I.V into my wrist.

Jesse.

A wave of reassurance rolls over me and I find myself moving my shoulders back at the tension. His dark gaze is on mine and I wonder what I should do. 

A part of me wants to keep on looking at him, see what he has to say. I want to know what he's been hiding, the clues were obvious as Landon, Rosalie, and Jesse were talking in the car.