Chapter 20

Merida walked up to the room Hiccup was staying in. She knocked, but no one answered. 

...

Hiccup walked around the dining hall. Where the heck was Merida? He had stopped by her room to find she wasn't there. Jack and Rapunzel were probably waiting for them. Toothless was behind Hiccup when the dragon started sniffing franticly in the air. Toothless started knocking over some pots, trying to get closer to whatever he smelled. 

"Toothless!" Hiccup scolded, "Stop it! You're making a mess!"

Toothless made it to the door. Suddenly it burst open and Merida was there. "Merida! I was just looking for you-" Merida aimed her bow at him. "What!?" Right before she was about to release the arrow, Toothless knocked her over. Her bow went flying across the room. The dragon screeched at the girl.

"Merida, what were you doing!" Hiccup didn't tell Toothless to get off of her yet. Instead of saying anything, Merida grabbed a pot of hot water and poured it on Toothless. Toothless yelped in pain and got off. She raced for her bow, but Hiccup already had it aimed at her. He had trouble holding it, but she was close enough it would be nearly impossible to miss. "Get back!" He yelled at her. 

Merida stopped and stared at him. Her eyes flashed green and blue. Hiccup gasped, "Oh gods! What has she done to you?" She leaped toward him, but he stepped back. He didn't want to shoot. Not at all. In fact, it was THE LAST thing on EARTH he wanted to do. But he didn't know what else to do." I don't want to shoot you Merida, but I will if I have to." He wasn't sure if he ment it. Surely not!

She just stared back at him. Her eyes steadily changing. Toothless jumped on her again. This time he reared up, ready to shoot her with one of his fire balls. "NOOOO!" Hiccup yelled. Toothless looked at his best friend telling him not to hurt someone who had just tried to kill him. "Don't hurt her." Hiccup said quietly, but loud enough Toothless got the point.

Merida took advantage of the moment and hurled her feet up into the dragon. He let up just long enough for her to roll out. She ran at Hiccup and pushed him over. She grabbed for her bow, but he had thrown it across the room. She compromised and brought an arrow out of her quiver. She tried to stick it in Hiccup's face. He stopped her with his hands and tried to push it away, but she was stronger than he was.

Quickly, Hiccup leaned his head to the side. The arrow nicked his face but, due to her strength, got shoved into one of the cracks in the stone floor. Merida tried to pull it out but it was stuck tight. This gave Hiccup just enough time to roll out from under her. He ran for the bow that still had the arrow locked in it. He aimed it at Merida who was standing now.

"I'm sorry." He shot.