Chapter 16

Rapunzel: "Do you think we should try to make it before dark?"

Jack: "We wouldn't have enough time, we'll have to leave in the morning."

Rapunzel: "Do you think they'll-"

Jack: "Yes, they're always up for a challenge."

Rapunzel smiled.

Jack: "What?" He had noticed her smiling at him.

Noticing she was staring at Jack, she broke their gaze. "Oh.. uh.. nothing."

Jack kept looking at her, waiting for her to say something, and realizing she wasn't, he looked away.

They spent a few moments in silence. Awkward silence.

Rapunzel: "Well, uh, I think I'm going to go to bed. If you want, I can show you a room to stay in," She suggested.

Jack: "Nah, I'd rather sleep under the stars. I'm used to it."

Rapunzel: "Okay," She kissed Jack on the cheek and left.

Smiling wide, he flew up into the sky and found a comfortable roof to sleep on...

...

Merida: "Es that the best ye can do?"

Hiccup: "Hey, I'm not exactly known for my strength," He replied quietly.

Merida watched as Hiccup had a hard time picking up a sword and lightly tapping the post with it. She laughed, took her sword and rammed it hard into the wood. A large chip fell as she removed the sword and let it dangle in her hand as Hiccup tried again.

Realizing this wasn't working, Hiccup said, "Let's try something else. Something a little less... to do with strength.

Merida: "Awlright! Here!" She shoved something in his direction.

Hiccup: "Uh.. A-"

"Crossbow," Merida finished.

Hiccup: "Fun.." He took it from her, only to notice that it was astonishingly light.... And slightly off balance.. He put it on the ground and leveled it by applying pressure to the right side.

Merida: "What are ye doing?" She asked, quite puzzled.

Hiccup: "Ugh," he pushed, "Leveling it.."

Merida: "...Ah.." she said, still confused.

Hiccup stood and adjusted the crossbow in his arms. Ready. Aim.... Fire! He shot an arrow at a tree. "Hit!"

Merida: "Wow, did you actually aim?"

Hiccup: "Yeah!"

Merida giggled. "Nice shot." She pulled out an arrow and shot at the tree. Her arrow sliced right through the middle of the one Hiccup had just shot.

Hiccup's eyes widened. "Wow!"

Right then, Toothless came bounding toward Hiccup. Toothless nuzzled up against Hiccup and layed down right there.

Hiccup: "Since when did you become so cuddly?"

Merida: "Well, the dragon is right, it es gettin' pretty late. Ay better be gettin' to bed," She starting towards the castle. "Ya know, you can sleep inside if ye want." She realized Hiccup wasn't following her.

Hiccup: "Alright, come on, bud."

Toothless reluctantly got up and they went to the castle.