Chapter 2

Hiccup regained control of Toothless and swooped to the ground. He found Merida and flew past her just long enough for her to jump on. She clutched onto his waist. Jack flew across the fire, picked up Rapunzel, and flew up to the same pace as Toothless.

"So what now?" Hiccup asked.

"We need to recuperate," Jack answered. "Just take us all somewhere safe." Jack didn't normally let Hiccup lead them somewhere, but right now, he was just shaken up.

"Alright, come on bud," he said to Toothless, "you know just where to go." Toothless smiled slyly and headed off into the distance, Jack not far behind.

...

Toothless landed on a soft patch of grass on the side of what looked like a mountain. 

Hiccup: "Welcome to Berk."

Merida got off of Toothless and looked at what she could see from where she was standing. Jack put Rapunzel down, his arms tired from carrying her.

Rapunzel: "Sorry."

Jack: "It's alright, Punzie. I picked you up in the first place."

Rapunzel smiled, "Thanks."

Hiccup: "This way," He motioned for them to follow. Hiccup lead them to his house, where they could be alone. Inside his room, they all looked about and sat down.

Rapunzel: "So, what do we do now?"

Jack: "We need a plan."

Merida: "So what's yer plan?"

Jack: "I.. I don't know."

The others looked at each other. Jack had always had a plan. Usually it was crazy, but it was a plan.

Hiccup: "Who was that in the first place? She called herself the Mistress of All Evil." Hiccup said this with hand quotes around the name.

Merida: "Maleficent."

Jack: "Bless you."

Merida glared at him.

Jack: "What? You really need to learn how to have fun." He held his hands up in surrender.

Rapunzel: "Maleficent? Who's that?"

Merida: "Rose told me once, she said that an evil witch, or faery, tried to murder 'er."

Hiccup: "A witch! That was no dragon. Well.. I mean... it was a dragon.. but it was really-"

Jack cut him off. "A witch huh? Hmm."

Rapunzel: "So how do we defeat her? With a potion or something?"

Merida: "I dunno. Rose nev'r told me that part."

Hiccup: "So we need to find Rose to tell us."

Merida: "We'd nev'r get to 'er in time. 'Er castle is way beyond the Eastern Sea."

Hiccup: "Geeesh, that is far. Merida's right, we'd never make it before Maleficent does something."

Jack: "We'll never be able to defeat her unless we know her weaknesses."

Rapunzel: "Jack's right, and I'll bet she can do more that turn into a dragon."

"HICCCCUUUUPPPP! IS THAT YOU UP THERE!" A man's voice bellowed from downstairs. 

"Yeah... Dad," Hiccup yelled back.

"COME DOWN! THERE'S SOMETHING YOU NEED to see," Stoik's voice quieted as he saw his son come down the stairs. Stoik led Hiccup to the open door and pointed to the skies. Thousands of dragons were flying towards Berk. 

"They're scared of something," Hiccup said, matter of factly. Nothing came chasing them though and they passed over the horizen.

"Well, that was a sight," Stoik said. He looked at the sky. "It's getting late, son, so, uh, good night then." Stoik retired for the night. 

Hiccup returned up stairs to his room. "Maleficent no doubt, she scared all the dragons. Her terrorism has already started. And my guess is it's not only with the dragons."

Hiccup realized he was only talking to Jack and Merida. Rapunzel was asleep on the floor, her hair was being used as blanket.

Jack: "We're not going to be able to fight her now. We're all tired. We need to get some rest." He said,  looking at Rapunzel.

Merida: " 'E's right."

Hiccup: "Alright, alright."

Jack: "We'll leave in the morning." 

Merida sat against the wall and quickly fell asleep. Hiccup crawled in his bed. Jack sat in a chair and rested his head in his arms on the table in front of him.