Chapter 1

A/N: this is set after the season 3 finale but I tweaked it a bit (No one dies because it's nice when everyone's here), also to anyone who has previously read this I've been editing it a bit to make it better - just a heads up. Enjoy! :)

Stiles POV:

I had been in the ER room for hours, getting check ups on my brain which just so happens to be shrinking in certain places. My mind's been somewhere else recently, what with not seeing Scott since the night Allison randomly stopped talking to us and not knowing where everyone else is, I guess I've been feeling lost without the whole "pack" here. To be honest, I don't really miss Derek or Isaac, even though I've been getting along better with them recently. I still don't love their presence.

When I get home I embrace my dad for what feels like eternity, it's been hard on him too - considering I have the same problem mum had before she died. He's in his uniform as he's headed out to work, he's been working so much recently but I haven't been questioning him on why he's doing overtime, I guess it's just paperwork or the FBI accusing him of not being cut out for the job again.

I crawl my way up the stairs and into my room to finally get some down time. However, much to my own dismay, lying on my bed fast asleep is infamous Derek Hale. Derek Hale, the same one who has inflicted pain on me numerous amounts of times before. Derek Hale, the most obstinate, rude and generally unkind and unnecessary, werewolf known to man kind - or wolf kind. A small scream escapes my lips and I stumble back into what I expected to be the door. Unfortunately there was a slight issue in the sense that my door was wide open, leaving an empty door frame for me to fall into and result in my body resting painfully on the floor.

Why was Derek of all people in my room? What does he even want with me? Oh crap... How do you wake a werewolf without them trying to kill you!? Whilst these questions and thoughts of gently throwing something at Derek whilst I quickly hide behind my desk are racing in my head, a faint growl emerges from him and I almost jump through the roof in shock. A groggy Hale arises from my bed. He struggles to stand and stumbles towards me but does manage to straighten up eventually and flash his bright blue eyes. His claws wrap around the hem of my shirt and he drags me towards the window, shoving me out of it and hanging me with my waist above dangling out the window.

"WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN STILES?" Derek roared. He's always like this. I haven't seen him this angry in a long time, not ferocious like this.

"Well aside from being hospitalised after my dementia got even worse and I needed surgery I've been very available. But I guess I should have come straight to the big bad sour wolf first shouldn't I?" The phrase manages to escape viciously through my quivering lips.

Derek threw me back into my room and practically pounces on me with a firm scowl tattooed on his face. His eyebrows are locked in a menacing frown and his lips are pursed and ready to erupt a storm of volatile words at me. A drop of sweat makes it's way down from the frown lines fracturing his forehead to the stubble sprawled across his jaw, Derek was nervous. In fact, he seemed almost terrified.

"Maybe you haven't been listening to your dad's workforce or maybe you haven't spoken to anyone for the past month but more attacks have been occurring." Derek spat at me. I'm surprised Derek wasn't the Kanima with the way he spits his words like a snake.

"And this is my fault I presume seeming as you've got your claws pressed against my heart" I reply forcefully, something I definitely didn't expect. At this Derek removes his grip as if he didn't realise what he was doing and looks at me with his longing green eyes apologetically.

"I'm sorry, Sit down Stiles."

"Just tell me who it is Derek."

"Stiles you won't believe-"

"Who is it Derek!?"

"It's Kate Argent..." As the name pops out of Derek's mouth my jaw drops and my mind starts spinning around trying to think of how she survived. Kate had her throat slashed by Peter... She got buried for god sake! How on earth could she still be alive, Derek must have made a mistake somewhere. He must have.

"Derek that isn't possible-" I begin but gunfire explodes through the window and Derek leaps on top of me, shielding my body with his own. He signals towards the door and ushers me along, constantly telling me to hurry up and go faster. We continue to rush through my home until we reach the other side of the house, the one not being fired at, and seek refuge in my dad's bedroom.

"What the HELL is going on Derek!?" I demand.

"Just shut up and do as I say" Derek instructs. He drags me over to the window in my dad's room and he breaks it, glass shatters everywhere all over my dad's bedroom floor.

"What are you doing Derek!? How do I explain this to my dad!?" I shout completely and utterly confused at the werewolf's actions. Derek just stabs a glare into my eyes and begins to lower himself out of the window. The grasp on the window frame recedes and Derek's body plummets towards the ground. His feet land on the grass and he seems perfectly okay despite the fact he just faced an almost four metre drop. . I look down in amazement as Derek gets back up and ushers his arms whilst trying to shout something up at me which I don't hear over the relentless gunfire coming from my room. But I know what he's signalling me to do.

I go to the window's frame and clutch on so hard my knuckles go white, I begin to lower myself down but as I do, my hand finds it's way towards one of many shards of glass and I lose my grip on the frame. My whole body freezes in fear, my heart skips not just one beat but at least a dozen as I plummet towards the ground, preparing to be sprawled across the garden in a huge mess of Stiles's brain matter.

But instead I'm in Derek's  steady arms, blushing.. I look up at him and murmur a thanks without making eye contact before he gently puts me back on my feet. The gunfire fades away and I hear shouting from the other side of the building and the sound of tyres screeching as they speed away. Derek tries to get a glimpse of who the attackers were but he's too slow as he runs around the building - they're already out of sight.

Derek turns back around to me and notices a small pond of blood forming in my palm. "You're hurt." Derek states carelessly, only his carelessness sounds like it has a hint of curiosity.

"Yeah that's why I kind of fell, all because you smashed my dad's window through. How am I even supposed to explain this to him? He barely understood the Nogistune and Kitsune thing but not an undead hunter or why there are bullets splattered around my house!?" The words rush out my mouth and my heartbeat is going at a speed that I didn't know was humanly possible. I stare into Derek's eyes, his eyes are an intricate design of green flowering in different shades and highlights. For a moment his werewolf eyes take over, and the green translates into an chilling blue. I prefer his werewolf eyes, the power that is held in the change of his eye colour is extraordinary.

Derek grabs hold of me again and rushes us towards his car without saying a word. His grip on me is lighter than it usually is, much to my surprise. He opens the passenger door for me before he dives into his own seat and puts the pedal to the floor of the car; Derek's driving seems to both terrify and excite me.

"Are you..er...are you okay?" I feel obliged to ask. "That's a pretty long drop" I question him referring to the window we just escaped from.

"I'm fine, but I'm taking you to the hospital to get your hand checked out." Derek replies sternly with a warming smile, normally I would have expected him to ditch me but Derek's changed a lot since he had his own pack. This new side of Derek that I've been encountering recently could grow on me. Heck, I could really get used to this caring side of him.

A lot of thoughts keep rushing through my head on our journey, seeming as Derek doesn't start any conversations and I decide it's best not to. Who was shooting at us tends to crop up a few times but I can't get my head around why Derek would protect me, and not just bail on me. Derek is a hostile creature who makes no sense with his occasional selfless actions and his prominent behavioural issues but he guided me to safety. Derek and I hate each other, well not as much as we used to I suppose. I don't know why he'd come into my room to warn me or go to such extent to even help me but what I do know is that Derek Hale, the sour wolf, just saved my life.