Chapter 2

Stiles' POV:

I return to my second home - Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital with Derek. I see these walls too many times, these floors and the seats that make you feel like you're being cut in half. Oh wait that's what Kate Argent's, who has just come back from the dead, father used to do. Derek ushers me in with his hand placed firmly on my back, directing me forwards. I don't know if he's doing it to ensure that I don't run away or to be a gentleman but it comforts me, the touch electrifying my adrenaline to keep pressing on into the hospital that I so long to leave behind. Derek must sense my discomfort because his head leans forward and whispers in my ear: "It's okay, you won't be here for long."

I get a glimpse of Scott's mum before she rushes over to me, her eyes intensely glancing over my body for injuries like a hawk searching for a mouse to dine on. She discovers the cut on my hand, it hasn't bled much but there's definitely glass in there; I can tell from the now excruciating pain occurring when Melissa prods it. She tells some other doctors that she'll take care of me like she always has, even when I was little after mum died she was always there for me.

Melissa takes me over into one of the hospital's rooms and sits me down on the bed and begins to attend to my hand firstly removing the glass slowly as to avoid any suffering on my part. It hurts like hell when she removes the glass so I chew on my lip to contain myself from yelping out. The glass is all removed and she start to clean up the wound with some antiseptic wipes

"Er... How's Scott?" I inquire.

"Not so good. He's worried about Allison, he still cares about her so much but not in the same way as he used to, he has Kira now but there will always be something there with Allison." she replies sympathetically. Her soft words are relaxing to me, even when we are discussing such a difficult topic.

"He needs time to calm down." She continues. "He'll be back on his feet in no time but he needs to clear his head first and stop worrying about her. I'm sure something's just popped up or her dad's getting her to clear her head too."

"Yeah I haven't seen him for a while, I hope he's getting a bit better." I respond.

"He's not too bad, but I think the comfort of the pack would help. Where's everyone been recently?"

"I haven't seen anyone recently because I've been in hospital. Probably all trying to regain our strength and our minds after what's happened."

"Yeah, it was rather... I don't even know what to say." We both laugh, she's also a human caught up in all this supernatural business so it's nice to be able to relate to someone. "Well you should be all good to go now." Melissa continues whilst patting my shoulder. She leaves the room and I suddenly realise that Derek is sitting there, right next to the door, waiting for me.

"Oh I thought you'd have left by now..." I state awkwardly.

"Oh... Yeah... Well I would have but... but..." Derek struggles for a response. "You could have been seriously hurt, I just wanted to make sure you were okay." Derek he finally manages to blurt out, his words stumbling out of his mouth. I shrug it off, he's probably just shocked about the whole Kate thing.

"Well we best get you out of here, I'll take you to Scott's. You two sound like you could both do with a bit of a catch up." Derek continued softly but with enough authority so that I know not to object.

Derek drove me back over to Scott's house, before he left he ordered me to stay away from my house just in case the attackers come back. What I thought was strange was that he stayed until I was in the house and released a small smile from his lips before speeding back away from the direction we came from.

Scott and I look at each other, his facial expression tells me he's exhausted emotionally and physically. We embrace, like brothers, words couldn't explain how much I missed my best friend. Scott and I play video games and talk for a while, he confesses that he's worried about Allison, and how not even Lydia has heard from her.

"You really do suck at this game Scott! I thought you were just exaggerating but I was clearly wrong." I express.

"Shut up Stiles, werewolf abilities don't effect every aspect of your life you know!" Scott replies like he used to when he was in a strop as a child.

"Not even when you become an Alpha?" I joke. "Have you been seeing Derek recently?" I continue seriously.

"No not really why? Is he acting differently?"

"Well he's being... Nice..."Scott erupts into laughter after the words come out my mouth. "I'm being serious! He's never been this nice to me, and especially with Kate being back I thought he'd be-" I begin before being interrupted by a look on Scott's face so shocked I feared I had grown an extra head or something. I obviously had to explain to him about Kate and went on to explain about Derek and I's encounter earlier at my house.

"Anyway, why do you think he's being nice? Any new, secretly sacrificing innocent people behind everyone's back, girlfriends?" I wonder.

"God knows, maybe he has a crush on you!" Scott giggles out that sentence and I hit him round the head. We both laugh it off but the idea of Derek liking me more than friends, if you could even call us that, lingers in my mind for a little longer. I shake the idea out of my mind with a scowl drawn upon my face and get up off the floor.

"Well I guess I'll go home and get some rest, I'm knackered. I'll speak to you tomorrow okay?" I receive a small whimper from Scott and he gives me the puppy dog eyes, only his are a bold red. I chuckle and leave the safety of Scott's home and make my way towards my empty one.

When I get home I retire upstairs to my room and slump down on the bed. However, the moment I close my eyes I feel a tight grip around my throat and I struggle for air. As I thrust my body around like a fish out of water I try to gain sight on my attacker. Black spots appear at the corners of my eyes and my lungs feel like they're about to explode. Just before my lungs combust I feel the grip around my throat relax and I'm dropped to the floor. My neck already starts to bruise and when I can get a good view of my room I see a bulky man all in black on the floor, hopefully unconscious because Beacon Hills could do without yet another murder, and Derek panting and clutching his arm, which appears to be in a position no arm should ever be.

"What..." Derek begins through pants. He's quiet, I think to myself, too quiet almost as if he were about to erupt- "...ON EARTH, MADE YOU COME BACK HERE STILES!? I told you to say away!" he growls at me, a complete opposite to his mellow calm earlier. At Derek's explosion, the man on the floor regains consciousness, screeches at the sight of Derek's cold blue eyes, and runs out of my house. Derek watches him leave before replacing his agitated eye contact with me.

"Where else am I supposed to go? And more importantly, what the hell are you doing here Derek?" I spit out at him. As I curse I see his body shudder, his traditional values cringing at the word.

Derek's voice raises, "Looking after you, I knew you wouldn't listen to me like always, why can't you just listen to me I was trying to protect you!"

"Why are you trying to protect me all of a sudden, why are you so obsessed with me!?"

"Becau- you know what, forget it. I'm done." Derek says as he storms his way back towards the window. My heart is racing at this point, but I'm not sure it's because of the shouting, or the way Derek's muscles flex every so subtlety as he walks away in a fury. God Stiles! What are you even thinking!?

"Derek. Derek. DEREK!" I shout after him. But it's too late, Derek is already out of the window and out of sight. That man frustrates me so much it's unbelievable. The way he's fine one minute then the next he's trying to kill someone. My hands find their way to my face, holding it before I yell and kick away my desk chair. I can't get my head around anything today. Nothing is making sense and my mind is thinking things I never would have consciously said.

I still can't understand how or why Kate is back. Maybe she did it the same way Peter did but I don't think that's possible in Kate' circumstances. Right? I'm supposed to be the brains of the pack but I just can't figure it out. Without my brains, what use am I in the pack other than to provide witty, sarcastic comments that just irritate everyone.

Another thought crosses my mind whilst I attempt to relax on my bed. What was Derek going to say before he told me to forget it? What if he was going to confess hidden feelings to me like Scott suggested, a limp smile appears on my face at the thought of Derek confessing feelings towards me. Whether I like Derek or not is still a mystery to me, but my curiosity increases as to what he was going to say and what his feelings actually could be for me. With Derek on my mind my eyes ping shut and I drift into a deep sleep.