Chapter 3

Stiles' POV:

I wake up after an intense dream last night. Kate Argent was in the dream and she was tying up Derek preparing to burn him alive.

"Now you'll know what it was like for your family Derek." she taunts.

I was just a spectator, but screaming trying to save him. I tried to reach out to him but I couldn't, I tried to find some water but I couldn't. I tried everything I could but nothing worked so I watched him burn alive. The flames licked around him like snakes slithering and hissing as they burnt his tender body. The most painful part was hearing Derek scream out in pain, tears in his eyes and trying to escape whilst Kate was laughing at the whole situation. At the end Derek yelled:

"Why didn't you save me Stiles?"

And that's when I woke up, sweating in bed and clutching onto my pillow. After all that's happened with my sleeping and dreaming issues I glare down at my hands to see how many fingers I have. Thankfully I count all eight, and both thumbs. A wave of relief brushes over me and I sigh in exhaustion and in pleasure at the thought of actually being awake. I clamber out of bed to seek the comfort of my shower. Showering allows me to relax after all the stress from that dream, well actually nightmare. The cold water at first refreshes my mind but the warmth that follows comforts me.

Scott meets me outside Derek's loft as we arranged earlier today. Apparently Derek is hosting a little 'pack' meeting - I presume to discuss Kate's appearance and hopefully to warn the others seeming as I almost got suffocated last night.

"Dude, are you all right?" I question Scott who is sniffing the air as I talk.

"Yeah." He responds. "I just thought I caught a scent of something strange." His voice is jumpy and he keeps looking around as if he's suffering paranoia. His eyes are baggy and puffy - like he had been crying recently. I want to ask but I don't want to resurface any bad thoughts he's been having. Allison has been blanking all of us and she means a lot to him.

"It's probably just something drifting in the wind. After you." I signal to the elevator.

I follow Scott into Derek's home which for some reason is always clean. I thought werewolves would just fling rubbish around but I was wrong obviously. Derek is positioned around the table by the windows along with Isaac, Lydia, Peter and the twins. We take our places amongst them and Derek begins to explain the situation in detail to everyone. Throughout the lecture the werewolves eyes flash their three different colours, a soft warming yellow from Isaac, the stale cold blue from Peter, Derek and the twins and the burning red from Scott. It's an interesting sight I must confess.

* * * *

After the briefing from Derek and the warning to try and stick together as much as possible we all begin to vacate the flat. Only my feet find their way towards Derek, the guilt eating away at me for being so rude last night. "Derek?" I ask shyly.

"What do you want Stiles?" He responds without even looking up from whatever he is doing. He looks like he's flicking through a brochure of some sort, but I couldn't tell which one exactly.

"I j-just wanted to apologize for yesterday for being rude. You were only trying to help, I'm sorry." I begin nervously.

"Don't worry, I don't care." That pangs my heart a bit, does he really not care about me? He'll probably be able to sense that his words hurt, what with his werewolf abilities, so I try to remove the feeling from my head.

"What are you doing over there?"

"None of your business Stiles." He says in a half sarcastic, half stern tone.

"Come on don't be such a sour wolf!" I joke.

"Stiles just leave, please. I don't want to waste anymore of your time." Derek responds with his head slightly turned. His green eyes gaze into mine, they aren't angry nor happy but they seem tranquil.

"Ok ok ok I'll just leave then." I begin to back out of Derek's apartment. Out of sight from Derek, I enter the elevator and click the buttons to command it down. Just before the doors close, I manage to call out: "You definitely wouldn't be a waste of time Derek!" I hear his faint laughter, which warms my heart.

Derek's POV:

I walk over to the elevator shaft that Stiles has just left and press my hand to the door. I long to call out to him, to get him back here, to run my hands through his beautiful hair and to spend my days with him. My body has never felt like this before, not even with... Paige. My body ripples with a shudder at the thought of that destruction of innocent life and I wish I was with Stiles, for him to be conforming me from my past. I back away from the elevator and into my loft, to return to the New York brochure I was previously flicking through.

"He's just a child Derek!" My uncle Peter calls as he makes his way down the spiral stairs in the corner of my flat. I turn around and release my palm from the door.

"Go home Peter." I respond forcefully with a flash of my stale blue eyes. I can feel my fangs creeping through but I control them, restricting their advancement.

"Oh Derek, I'm just looking out for you. Wouldn't want to end up killing yet another child would we?" Peter taunts.

Rage boils up inside me and the wolf side of me takes control. Without even realising what I was doing my body rockets itself towards Peter and starts clawing at him. Peter tries to throw me away from him, but completely fails. The strength and monstrosity of my ex-alpha powers are no match for him. My wolf inside me lets out a powerful roar  as I toy my claws over Peter's throat, delicately tracing the line of his esophagus.

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that. What did you say?" I growl sarcastically. All I see is red through my eyes and pure, raw hatred. Peter whimpers in pain and the wolf inside me just laughs at his cowardice. "Not so brave now, are you? ARE YOU?" I shout at him. Peter doesn't respond again, which makes my fangs join in a merciless smile.

A clawed set of hands grab hold of me and throws me off of Peter, the same two sets of werewolf hands pin me down as I thrash around trying to release from my grip. All I can hear are shouts from Scott and Isaac telling me to calm down and come back, the faint panic from Lydia and the twins as they fear the mess I have made of Peter could be irreversible. A blast of confusion ricochets from the teenagers into me and I don't understand what I'm seeing. Nothing I hear or see is in focus, I'm forced to lie on the floor of my apartment face down but still floundering about trying to be free of the grip on my shoulders pinning me down. I stare around the room unable to focus on anything, all the commotion going on is driving me crazy. "I'm broken", I think to myself.  I'm broken.

Another voice comes through though, a calmer tone and a gentle one. The voice seems to bring me back and I stop writhing around. My claws retract along with my fangs and I taste blood in my mouth, the metallic taste bringing me back further so I can make out the small figure of Stiles. "Come on Derek, put those eyes away. It's okay, you're okay now." The soft words escape the soft lips that I so long to kiss. The red tinge to my vision fades away and the grip on me releases. I sit up to see a room full of chaos, oh if only the Nogistune was seeing this.

Peter lies on the sofa, bloodied with his clothes torn to shreds. Lydia and the twins are tending to him and his wounds. The sight makes me shiver and feel like my body is going throw up everything in my stomach. Issac and Scott stand by my side, guarding me. Scott knowing he could control me, what with his recently found abilities. Stiles stands in front of me, with a hand outstretched to me. I take it and pull myself and whatever remaining pride I have with me off the ground.