Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Charisma

Now I was really nervous. No matter what happened, I knew that I was going to have to face this verdict.

"Are you okay?" Devin's dad asked feeling the goose bumps on my arm.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said rubbing my arms trying to warm myself.

"In the case of Devin Wilson, we the jury find the defendant..."  I closed my eyes and crossed my fingers waiting for this gruesome answer. "We find the defendant not guilty."

I heard a sigh of relief come from everybody.

"That's wassup! That's wassup, man," Kemarc yelled getting up, and the judge banged her gavel.

"Order in my court," she yelled as Kemarc sat back down, "Mr. Wilson, you have a beautiful girlfriend, and I know you're going to have a beautiful child under one condition."

"Yes, Your Honor?"

"House arrest for five months."

"I can definitely deal with that," he said smiling.

I was beyond happy when the judge banged her gavel again, and they took him the back. I knew it was only a matter of time now.

"So you happy?" Mr. Wilson asked me.

"I mean I feel a little better."

I stared straight at my mom and could see the disappointment stamped right on her fat-ass forehead. I really didn't care anymore. I had to worry about me and my life.

"Um, we're having a coming home party for Devin tomorrow night, so maybe you could talk to him there," I said turning back to Devin's dad.

"I don't know if Devin would like that."

"Trust me, he will. You're the grandfather of this child whether he likes it or not."

"You got spunk and attitude just like his mother," he said smiling.

  "What was her name?" I asked him.

"Justine, Justine Wilson is what it was. Now she's Justine Baker, but it's been a while since we last talked, so it could've changed again."

"Um, Charisma?" Toya said tapping me on my shoulder, "So me and Kemarc are gonna go somewhere, and we were wondering..."

"Go! I'll find a ride home," I said, and she gave me a big hug.

"Thank you. Thank you," she yelled running back over to Kemarc.

"I can bring you home," Mr. Wilson said.

"Thank you so much."

During the entire ride home, Mr. Wilson only wanted to talk about Devin.

"When Devin was little, he was such a bright child, very smart. I always told him to never let anyone take that brain of his and use it for bad," he smiled.

"So why did he get in the drug game?" I asked.

"He loved money. He always saw me counting cash, and one day me and him stood on a corner back in Detroit, and he sat on a milk crate and saw me make transaction after transaction after transaction. He just learned it from there, and by the time he turned 10, he was already selling it for himself."

"So basically everything was good until?"

"Until I got into legal trouble. I'm going to be real. I didn't want my son to get shot because he was working for me, so by the time he turned 11, I left and moved to Tennessee. Neither he nor his mother knew, and I kept it that way until he turned around 17. When I came back to Detroit, word was that he and his mother moved to Miami. I had to start my business over, but when I found out that Devin was living by himself, I got in contact with him even though he's been a little difficult. I tried to send him money as much as I could."

"Over twenty-five grand, right?"

"Yeah, give or take. Has he been using it to pay for bills and all?"

I scratched my head. Whenever we spoke about the money, Devin acted like it came from the devil himself.

"Well, no, he hasn't. He said to use the money to take care of the baby, but earlier today, they took around $10,000 from us."

He stopped the car and looked at me. "Who is they?"

"Some dudes that Devin was working for."

"What are their names?"

"Ummm, little Pee Wee and Mac," I answered, and he started laughing.

"Pee Wee and Mac work for me. I sent them down there to watch over my own son, and now they're stealing money from him."

When we got to the house, I got out while he helped me out of his big white Lincoln Navigator.

"Thank you, Mr. Wilson," I said giving him a big hug.

"Anything for my daughter-in-law."

"So are you coming tomorrow?"

"I am."

"I'll call you when Devin gets here."

"Okay."

After I walked inside the apartment, I rubbed my stomach anticipating Devin's arrival. Tomorrow, it was finally just going to be me and Devin again.