Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Charisma

The whole lunch date with Jarell was heaven.  Jarell and I went to a Chinese spot a few blocks down from the school, and he paid for everything. He was actually a gentleman who treated me with mad respect. No wonder why girls were climbing on him from left to right.

"So why a beautiful girl like yourself is single? I know you got guys coming at you every day," he said.

I popped a sushi in my mouth and nearly choked at the statement. Honestly, I didn't know why I was single, but that's how I spent most of my high school life. I mean there was one guy I dated, but it ended shortly. I guess the only guy I had was Devin really.

"I don't know."

"Well, you're very beautiful. I don't understand how any guy could pass you and not be fascinated by that face."

"Thanks," I said smiling from ear to ear, "Why are you single?" I softly put my hand under my chin and admired his sexy face.

"I had a girlfriend back home until I found out that she was cheating on me with plenty of other niggas."

I was surprised when Jarell said that. I thought that he was the player type. "It's cool though, her lost, right?"

"You really think that?"

"Well, you're funny and cute with a nice personality. It's a plus."

"A plus? Come on, mama." He got up from the booth and sat by me looking me in the eye. "Look at this face, it shouldn't just be a plus." He started making funny faces, and I laughed so loud that everybody in the restaurant were looking at us. "So can I get more than that plus?" he asked wrapping his arms around me squeezing me tight.

"Okay, okay, what you want?" I said coughing trying to catch my breath.

"A kiss," he said letting go of me, so I turned around face him.

"A kiss?"

"Yeah, nothing more or less."

He is cute. I could give him just a little taste, I thought. Jarell was a nice dude, and he had everything from smartness to swag to respect. I leaned in and gave him a soft kiss which lasted for about a minute. His lips were so soft and sweet, I just wanted to stay there forever, but my phone started vibrating, and it was my alarm to go to work. That was something I couldn't miss, so I got my things and got up to leave.

"I got to go."

"Why?"

"I got to be to work in like thirty minutes, and I have to get to Devin's car before he leaves me," I said starting to walk away, but he grabbed my hand.

"I'll bring you, ma...I mean, Charisma."

I just smiled. This dude had the whole package.

"So you got a car?" He started laughing. "What?"

"Come on." He caressed my hand, and we walked all the way to the back of the school to the teachers' parking lot. When we got there, I saw a fly ass red BMW. I knew damn well it wasn't any of the teachers at our school.

"Damn, so that's your car?"

"Um, yeah, I got it just when I came here."

"So you move, and your parents get you car?" My mother wouldn't even let me take the bus to certain places.

"It ain't that easy, ma." He pressed the button on his car that made all the doors unlock. I got in and sat in the passenger's seat. It was nice and warm in his car. "I had to work mad hard for this, baby, I have to keep my grades up all the time just so I can keep it. One F or D, and this car is gone," he said pulling out of the driveway. He turned on the radio, and Beyoncé's "Sweet Dreams" was playing, and I started laughing.

"So you like Beyonce?" I joked.

"Man, naw," he chuckled and pressed the eject button, "My sister always doing dumb shit in my car."

I took the CD, and it said Property of Jarell.

"Your sister's, right?" I teased showing him the CD. He started laughing and grabbed it from me.

"Man, stop laughing. I ain't afraid to say I like the lady."

The entire way to work, we were joking around until we got there. To tell the truth, I didn't want to leave him.

"Damn, you got to go now?"

"Yeah, the job awaits," I said when he grabbed me by my chin and kissed me lightly on my lips. This kiss wasn't like the first one. We started making out in the car. His lips were soft as hell. I didn't want to let go, but I had to go to work

"Damn, I know we only been talking for two days, but I want you to be my girl."

I started laughing.

"I'm serious, ma. I think you're everything, and I want to be with you."

Well, obviously he wasn't kidding. I mean Jarell was a cute, nice, intellectual, down to earth, and honest guy, but we just met.

"You know what? Okay," I said getting out the car. He got out the car and caught up with me before I walked in.

"Wait, ma, you serious?" he said smiling nearly blushing.

"Yeah."

He kissed me on my lips again. "So you want me to pick you up after work?"

"No, it's cool. I already got a ride."

"Aight, I'll see you later, boo." He let go of my hand, and once again, I smiled from ear to ear.

Once he left, I went inside looking for Devin. I knew I had to find him. First, I left him by himself during lunch, and then I didn't tell him that Jarell was bringing me to work. I walked straight to the break room to see if he was there, but instead I saw Tiana. She was only 17 and had a year old son, Chase. She may have been the youngest out of all of us, but she knew so much more about life than any of us put together. Tiana was just sitting there doing her homework. Since she was in high school, doing homework at home was always a pain for her because of Chase. She gave him one-hundred percent of her attention.

"Tiana, wassup?" I asked.

"Mhmm," she said.

"Damn, you going to treat your child godmother like that?" I asked putting my hand on my hip.

"Hey, Charisma, how you doing? Oh my gosh, how's your day today?"

"Damn, something wrong?"

"Girl, it's nothing. You know stress follows me."

"Ugh, I know. Anyways, have you seen Devin today?"

"Last time I seen him he was in the back unloading the trucks."

I got up and gave her a quick hug and then went to the back where the trucks were. When I saw him, he looked really mad.

"Devin," I said loudly over the roaring trucks, but he ignored me, "Devin."

"What?" he screamed.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for not telling you that I wasn't going to be with you during lunch and that I got another ride to work."

He just kept on working blasting the music on his iPod.

"You heard me?" I asked tapping him on his shoulder. I hated when Devin ignored me.

"Yeah, man."

I decided to just leave him alone for a while to calm down. I guess he missed me while I was gone, but he didn't have to be mad at me because I was hanging out with another guy.