Chapter 25: Father Daughter Dancing

It was the last period of the day. Both Brelyn and Elaina had seventh period together. Last period was always one of the more chill classes. By the end of the day, everyone, even the teachers, was just done.

Once the bell rang, everybody quickly shuffled out of the classrooms. Brelyn and Elaina walked together out. Elaina checked her phone. "Hey," she began, "my mom said you and I need to stop by her office."

"Okay," Brelyn replied. "I just gotta get something from my locker, then we can be on our way."

Brelyn and Elaina stopped by Brelyn's locker so she could receive whatever she needed. Once that was done, they were off to Evie's office. Because they were a lot more comfortable with Evie and knew her better, they didn't even knock before entering. Both girls were surprised to see Mal there too.

"Mom?" Brelyn said. "What are you doing here?"

"We're planning your big princess debut," Evie replied.

"Excuse me, my princess what?" Brelyn asked in shock.

"Has your father not talked to you about this?" Mal asked. Brelyn shook her head. "Well, he was supposed to," Mal mumbled under her breath. "Anyway, around the age of thirteen, any royal who is next in line for the throne, like yourself, has this big debut or presentation. It is very much like a coronation, just not as big and extravagant. You're fourteen, so you're not that far off from the presentation age."

"Okay, but what happens exactly at these kinds of ceremonies?" asked Brelyn.

"Well," Mal began, "it's a presentation. It's basically presenting yourself to the kingdom of Auradon. You are showing them who you are, and it also marks the start of your training to be queen."

"And you get to wear a beautiful dress that will be designed by yours truly," Evie said. Mal rolled her eyes at her best friend's response.

"Wait," Elaina said. "Did you say training to be queen?"

Mal nodded. "Brelyn is the heir to Ben's throne. She will soon take over after Ben as Queen of Auradon."

"And Brelyn marks a first for Auradon," Evie added. "She's the first heir to be female."

Brelyn's eyes grew wide. The room started to feel like it was getting smaller. Princess? Queen? All of this started to become overwhelming. She was also the first queen heir. Brelyn could already feel the pressure fall upon her shoulders. "A-Are you sure I can be a queen?"

"Don't worry, you have a couple more years before you have to worry any of that queen stuff," Mal said as she rubbed Brelyn's shoulders. She could tell Brelyn was already feeling the pressure. "Just don't freak out. Just stay calm and trust your heart."

Brelyn could feel her breathing go back to normal. She looked up to her mother's eyes. She felt a sense of comfort come over her. Her mother always made her feel calmer. Brelyn smiled and her mother smiled back. "I feel a little better," Brelyn replied.

"Here's an idea," Mal started. "Why don't you ask your father? I'm sure he can tell you about how he was feeling about his presentation and even his coronation."

"You know, that's not a bad idea," Brelyn said. "See you guys later!" Brelyn said as she left Evie's office.

'Wait!" Evie yelled. "I still need to measure you for your dress!" Unfortunately, Brelyn was already out the door. Evie looked at Mal.

"What?"

"She really is your daughter." Mal rolled her eyes once more.

Elaina laughed at the interaction between her mother and her best friend's mother. It made her feel like she and Brelyn were always destined to be best friends.